Been Tinkering

maccavvy

Obviously im new to hoods. Got a nice one imo but needed a few jobs sorting.

So over the weekend got stuck in. Washers were on a seperate switch instead of the end of the stalk

so using the info mark b put up managed to rewire those to work on the stalk.

Cleaned the masking tape residue from under the trailing edge of the bonnet,no idea why it had been left there so long.

The matching design spare wheel i got cheap when fitted stopped the boot from opening as it was too close to the car

So got some stainless threaded rod ,instead of the rusty mild steel one and made a nice new wheel holder.

Getting a temp probe today so i can check the actual operating temp of the engine to rule out if its running hot or the gauge says so

I built mine 10 years ago but I was removing masking tape from the scuttle, checking fluids, bailing water out the the valley between the cams, adjusting alternator belt, even giving the fibreglass a wipe over with wax.(hesitate to go so far as to call it a polish and I didn't do the stainless!) It's never finished. There's always something that needs a mod to improve it. I must think of a way of keeping the bonnet vents but stopping water filling the area round the spark plugs and drowning them. Incredibly it will still run when they are completely submerged but it coughs a bit and it runs on two cylinders for a while.

And there's the 'new' engine to go in when I get the cam back. And I'm converting the exhaust from 4:1 to 4:2:1. and then it will need to go on the rolling road for a tweak to the maps. I wonder if there's time to supercharge it before Christmas?

Nigel

mines feeling all neglected at the minute, the tintop just stole £600 off it for new tyres, and i'm now having to repair the garage due to tree damage. trying to keep it dry without needing the roof on.

on the water in the vents problem, have you tried a fine perforated alli plate at an angle. it will still let heat out but would cause majority of water to run off to the side.

I forgot to tell you marcus, terry has a temp reading thingy. Hoping for good weather for the meet Wednesday but its not looking like we are going to get a clear run

About the same time you posted this i was on my way home,swung by maplins and purchased a new multimeter with temp probe. :good:

Only 20 quid and gonna try to put it through business.so all good.

May have a tinker before work in the morn...i dont do early starts see.

see if i can rule this out once and for all...btw with new stat and coolant in it runs hotter still... :unknw:

About the same time you posted this i was on my way home,swung by maplins and purchased a new multimeter with temp probe. :good:

Only 20 quid and gonna try to put it through business.so all good.

May have a tinker before work in the morn...i dont do early starts see.

see if i can rule this out once and for all...btw with new stat and coolant in it runs hotter still... :unknw:

i reckon its probably running right but not showing correct on temp gauge

.btw with new stat and coolant in it runs hotter still
So previously your car has been using it's full cooling capacity all the time and you have just reduced that capacity by adding a stat where there was none before. A stat does add a restriction to flow, even when it's fully open. So it got hotter. Still interested to know the actual temperatures it is reaching but it does suggest cooling capacity is marginal.(Or now has an airlock to add to the woes.)

Nigel