2ltr Pinto Twin Dellorto Tuning

Guest Big daz2

Guest Big daz2

Hi Guys please help. i have fitted my 2ltr pinto and added a twin dellorto carb set up. i have got some new idle jets and main jets to suit the 2ltr pinto, but after setting up the lot it fires and runs but i have a flat spot when i first press the throttle, it will idle fine and when i give it lots of revs pull off and drive fine but it seems like theres a missing jet between idle and main jets. has any one else come across this problem before is an easy fix. also when i rev the engine there is lots of spitting from the carbs and flames which is worrying, this means its running lean i think. please help i think iv done a really good job but just want her to run smooth. I have downloaded a dellort set up guide from internet which iv followed but it doesnt tell me about this problem. if i adjust the carb so they dont spit i cant start her from cold. please help

there are so many variables when setting up this kind of carb you really need to get it on a rolling road. Idle jets, main jets, emulsion tubes, choke sizes can all make a massive difference, and what works on one engine won't necessarily work on another.

Put your location in your profile and there may be somebody near you who can help, or can recommend a rolling road near you

I am going to fit twin dellorto's so I'm interested in any responce, not sure if you have this information attached but may help. Not used it yet waiting for engine mounts. I also have a word document titled Selection and tuning of Dellorto DHLA carburettors but its 1mb and too big to upload.

Regards

Mark

Guest chrispine

If this is a progressive carb (small choke opens 3/4 before the secondary starts to open), make sure the larger jets, including air correction jets, correspond to the larger choke, had similar with a Webber, eventually found the air correction jets in the wrong place, swapped and all ok, this will make it run weak on the primary choke, also set the float heights correctly, (videos on youtube), basically, if it's a second hand carb, strip it completely and rebuild it, check all fuelways (blow through with compressed air if you can), also check the emulsion tubes.

Could also be air leak between carb/manifold/head causing it to run weak.

Hope this helps.

Edited by crazy chris3rd

Guest barksavon

Dont want to put you off but i had a pair of Dellorto DHLA 40's on my 2L Pinto and suffered exactly same symptons as you, popping, spitting, flat spot etc, changed various jets, fitted service kit, read all the Dave Andrews stuff, rolling road (which did improve things for a while) did everything i could but never got them running that well. Eventually bought a set of bike carbs and couldnt believe the difference, now have Megajolt ignition fitted and engine runs really well...definately worth the investment. Good luck with it.

Guest Big daz2

thanks for your replys guys. i have given up with it. the car was my pride and joy but a cobination of these carbs and my son wanting a motocross bike i have sold her. im gutted but the new owner is fitting with zetec with injection. im gutted but i would like to say thank you guys for all your help.

Guest adey1984

I'm keeping the pinto for a while tho I'd like to have injection on and working in 3 weeks (depending on finding some spare itbs) will definitely have mappable ignition tho. She's a nice motor and I'll look after her for you

• 3 weeks later...
Guest adey1984

Getting there slowly, tidied up the engine loom a little, cut out all the excess ford loom, got a tubular manifold on as a replacement for the cast item and then added up a set of 45mm jenveys

411aff6e.jpg

Should have the lift pump, swirl pot and high pressure pump fitted by the weekend, then a few more evenings she should be alive. If I don't like the engine or it's not enough I've got the blacktop sat ready to drop in

Ive got twin dellortos on mine just a little blip on the throttle to pic the revs up at the lights and then let it go, no probs all through the rev range, your spit back through the carbs could be down to timing issues.