Cam N Carb

Guest owenpilson

Guest owenpilson

ive just ported and rebuilt my 2L pinto , before i pulled it to bits its cam ran nice and quiet. now its back together it sounds like a diesel. i made sure that all the rockers,springs & valves went back in the right order.. could the cam timing be causing this( if its out by one tooth) any ideas.

also the carb (32/36)has developed 2 problems , the square diaphram thingy next to the auto choke has got a leak , and the inside of the inlet manifold is dripping with fuel. would the diaphram be causing this problem? and secondly where can i get a diaphram at short notice near Chester as my MOT is on Saturday @ 9am....

Cheers

Owen.

P.s. Bill if your reading this, the battery looks great in the boot :)

before i pulled it to bits its cam ran nice and quiet. now its back together it sounds like a diesel.

ithink youll find you may need to reset the clearances betwen the cam and valves to cure this not got my haynes to hand but it explains it all very well so shouldnt be a big job

Guest Simon cooper

Hello Owen,

Cam belt out one or even 3 teeth will not cause the clattering.

Firstly, is it definately tappet/cam noise?

You can get a very similar noise if you have a small exhaust blow at the header. Put a piece of pipe in your ear and pass the other end around the gaskets. if there is a blow, you will hear it.

The diaphragm is a different story. Not too sure what carb you have, but if there is fuel dripping in to the top of the carb, it is not due to the diaphragm being knackered. The fuel is probably dripping from the main venturi, in which case the carb settings are miles out and the throttle is too far open, compensating for wrong settings on timing, cam, or mixture.

You need to check more than your tappets Owen, give the whole lot the once over and reset everything again.

Good luck

Simon

Guest owenpilson

the carb is a weber 32/36 dgav and the leak is from a diaphram at the back of the carb next to the auto choke ... coming from the square cover with the arm that comes out and goes below the carb . Ill take a piccy of it tommorow and post it...

the haynes manual say the clearances are 20 & 25 thou IIRC but i might go with your advice.... but thats a very valid point about the exhaust manifold making a clatter ..... id go out and try it now ... but i like my nieghbors...

ill let you know when i resolve it.

cheers

Owen.

Owen the diaphragm is the one for the acceleration pump, if you get a leak there it should mean less fuel getting into the manifold. If there is lots of fuel getting in I would check that the float needle valve is shutting off. I think your other problem may just be the tappets as Jim says.

Peter

Guest owenpilson

got it sorted ... turned out the followers were very worn... raided my old engine and fitted them ... now its running sweet.. now time to get it taxed and ready for a jaunt to stoneleigh....

cant wait...

thanks for the help.

Owen.