Super Spec Steering Wheel And Column

Guest jwts

Hi,

I have a 2004 rover engined Super Spec (bought in 2007). Its almost ready (I think) for IVA.

AFAIK the Super Spec has a Focus steering column which is designed to collapse on driver impact. I've read on RHOCAR that some test stations won't accept this and say the steering wheel must be padded and have a collapsible hub.

My nearest test station is Gillingham. Does anyone know how they treat the Super Spec steering wheel and column?

While I'm writing - I have set up the steering so I can use the fore and aft, and up and down adjustment provided by the column. Is this allowed in the IVA? I makes it easier to get in and out of the car.

Regards,

John (jwts).

Guest darkcloud

Hi,

I have a 2004 rover engined Super Spec (bought in 2007). Its almost ready (I think) for IVA.

AFAIK the Super Spec has a Focus steering column which is designed to collapse on driver impact. I've read on RHOCAR that some test stations won't accept this and say the steering wheel must be padded and have a collapsible hub.

My nearest test station is Gillingham. Does anyone know how they treat the Super Spec steering wheel and column?

While I'm writing - I have set up the steering so I can use the fore and aft, and up and down adjustment provided by the column. Is this allowed in the IVA? I makes it easier to get in and out of the car.

Regards,

John (jwts).

Hi John,

Ive helped getting several cars through SVA at Gillingham.

The guys there are all helpful rather than obstructive.

I dont know about the IVA, but so long as the column was collapsible

they were happy with that for SVA. Best to use the manufacturers steering wheel for the test, there are issues with projections & padding with most aftermarket ones.

Dont forget you can call the test station & ask for their view prior to the test. It may be difficult to find the phone no. as most calls are diverted to Swansea....maybe visit in person?

HTH Bob

Hi John,

Ive helped getting several cars through SVA at Gillingham.

The guys there are all helpful rather than obstructive.

I dont know about the IVA, but so long as the column was collapsible

they were happy with that for SVA. Best to use the manufacturers steering wheel for the test, there are issues with projections & padding with most aftermarket ones.

Dont forget you can call the test station & ask for their view prior to the test. It may be difficult to find the phone no. as most calls are diverted to Swansea....maybe visit in person?

HTH Bob

I agree with Bob, I have visited the VOSA Centre in Gillingham 4 times now, they have always been helpful, 'No pass Andy' as he proudly introduces himself is keen to give advise and has always afforded me the time, hopefully he will be the examiner when I go for the IVA.

Just turn up and tell the lady at reception that you are building a kit car and would like to speak to one of the examiners, and they will come out to see you, they are glad to help.

I sound like an advert for VOSA !!!

Hope this helps

John

http://www.johnskitcar.com

Guest darkcloud

John,

Not sure what happened on first reply !

Had a failure on Monday at Exeter - Sierra Column with RMD Steering wheel, you must either have a collpasible boss or use the Sierra wheel, I was informed.

As the other guys say the examiner was helpful and explained any points when I asked for clarification.

Neil