Dvla

Guest Ant

Just had a wrangle with the DVLA. :gdit: :gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

They sent me a tax disk renewal form for my donor vehicle. I handed in the reg document for that car when I registered the 2B last June. Despite keeping me on hold for almost 15 minutes they can't write down this fact and then deal with it between themselves in Swansea and the local office in Nottingham ... oh no ... first they told me to contact the local office, but then explained that they don't have a telephone (perhaps they use carrier pigeons?). Then they told me to write them a letter. Why the hell can't they just make a note of what I'm saying? Why do I need to put it in writing? :gdit:

I've just written them a letter and explained that if they waste any more of my time like this then they should expect an invoice from me. :lol:

I wonder what the reply will be ... free tax disk perhaps? :rolleyes:

Ant

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andy Rathbone

dont hold your breath, i doubt you will get a free tax disk, you might get what you want done though. eventually!!! i mean your asking quite a lot, i mean efficient and helpful service is hard to come by. i will find you the name of the lady at brum if that helps she was very obliging and helpful.

Didn't argue with "everyone" ... in fact I got on rather well the sva tester who said my exhaust was "a lot better than most".

The DVLA do suck though. Just look at the number of poeple who come on here with different procedures they've been told to follow to get the cars registered in the first place. People hiring trailers, carting part built cars all over the place just some some office jobsworth can say "oh yes that's a chassis number" ... "oh yes that's a Sierra rear axle" ... which Sierra? nobody knows, but so long as they've seen it and they tick the little box then thats ok.

I can accept that someone has made a mistake when I handed in the reg document to my donor car. That's fine. What I don't understand is why the person I spoke to at Swansea couldn't make a note of what I was saying, and then chase it up with the Nottingham office, and simply sontact me when they've reached a conclusion. Why do I have to write it in a letter? And why did she tell me "it's worth contacting nottingham office" when she knew full well they're not allowed to give out their phone number? It's just beurocratic nonsense. She wouldn't even put a note against the donor car saying that I was writing a letter explaining the situation - she told me to hurry up with the letter to ensure they don't bill me for the outstanding tax disk! :gdit: :gdit:

DVLA personnel - sack the lot of em. That's what I say!

Ant

DVLA personnel - sack the lot of em. That's what I say!

that bit's reasonable. :)

basically they are getting you to undo their mistakes.

I got a NIP for a speed camera jobby in Blackpool 6 months ago, I wrote back to them, all polite, offering photo's of my vehicle for them to compare as it was over 200 miles away at the time. they sent me a letter back saying "Fill in who was driving so that we can do them" type of thing. That was it! I wasn't polite anymore, wrote back to the head of the dept. asking him to please take me to court, where I will pleade "not guilty" then I will succeed to win my case as i had about 50 witnesses (I was at Silverstone, marshalling!) i would them humiliate him and his department for their incompetence, after being given every co-operation to correct the mistake, I then told him that I would also be claiming expenses etc.

I got a letter back, saying "we've decided not to persue this offence this time" Cheeky *bleep*s!

so yes, the majority of them aren't worth paying.

Whilst we're talking batteriers, mine has been on it's way out for a month or two, <_< leave it for a few days and the bloody things nearly flat :angry: , went to the shop that I bought it from about 20 months previous, "ah! it's not so good that mate! but it's out of guarantee!" (you can probably imagine the sentence that he got from me! :gdit: :gdit: )

I wasn't going to buy another, so I've struggled with it since. :(

Recently I just mentioned it in passing to a fellow Hoodie, "I have a contact for good 2nd hand batteries, of a certain size, do you want one?" "OH! Yes please!" so now I've got it, and it's a belter, the only trouble is that it's about ½ the size again as the other one was (too small anyway IMHO) outcome is, I've just had to lengthen / change some wires to fit, but it's in now. When I turn the key, the whole car spins round the battery!! ;) ;)

I use a trickle charger / battery conditioner to keep mine alive. Get them from machine mart for about 12 or 15 quid. I've connected mine to a ciggy lighter plug so I drive into the garage and just plug it in. Kept my battery going from the donor without trouble so far, even when the car was being built, and this last winter when it had a 4 month rest.

I know you don't lay yours up for the winter Jim, but even for a week or so the conditioners make a difference.

Ant

Guest Captain Daz

Ant

Don't tar them all with the same brush!

My Dad works for the DOT. He's the one who comes round and cheks the vehicle post SVA for registration/Tax etc. I was chatting to him about the fact I will get an age related plate for my 2B. He reckoned I would get a Q plate. I had to show him the DVLA web site to prove I was right. It was his training that was at fault. He had been told something and was carrying it out.

Yes you may have found some arsey jobsworths but you know they're not all like that. Just people doing a job.

Cheers

Daren

PS. Ant I would like to remind you of your attack on me when you wrote to 'protect' Louise the female Hoodie! You spoke quite strongly about people stereotyping others. Sounds a little hypocritical to me. Perhaps you should take each DVLA/DOT/SVA person as you find them. If you were only joking about 'sack the lot of them' then you'll understand that I was too with Louise. Sorry Ant but you can't have it both ways. Either I'm insulting Louise, you're insulting my Dad or we're both just having a laugh. I'm fine with the latter but you need to make up your mind.

PPS If you've forgotten about the 'Louise' thread just type 'stereotype' in to search and you'll find your words.