Pinto Small Alternator Needed?

Guest adey1984

Guest adey1984

After fitting the tubular manifold and having to make and modify the whole steering rack I've now found the alternator is a little large and hits one of the runners. Is there a small item that fits the oem bracket and lines up with the normal belt run? Cheers

Guest sadjagboy

An alternator bracket from a Capri allows you to use the standard alternator, I have an early 2b with sliding pillar suspension with a tubular exhaust manifold and that is the set up I have.

You can get small denso alternators but I'm not sure if there is an off the shelf bracket available.

Hope that helps

Angus

Originally had the standard alternator fitted low down on my 2B with a longer belt & lengthened adjusting bar. This worked but the alternator was too close to the ground for me - large puddles were to be avoided.

I swapped it for a little Denso one off a Suzuki something (can't remember what) but I had to make a new bracket up & alter the wiring to provide an ignition switched +12V for the Denso alternator.

Hope this helps, Steve

Guest Alan_builder

So the Capri bracket is different to my sierra one but moves the stock alternator?

You should be able to fit a stock alternator by adjusting both the bracket, top and bottom. The Capri sound to be your answer as it should bolt on.

There are quite a large number of small Denso Alternators, most of these go like hot cakes as they are needed to get the Zetec into a 7 car. Also you will need to change the wiring and the plug as well as make both top and bottom brackets and as most of the Denso alternators use a ribbed belt you will have to change the pulley for a V belt one also make an adapter as the shaft size will be smaller. GBS make brackets for the Zetec and sell small alternators. Yes you may have twigged quite expensive to buy.

Sorry no easy solution.

I got one off a scrap rascal van, which a lot of people recommend. TBH, I don't think it is that much smaller than the original, but the mounting bracket is smaller and easier to modify to get it to fit. You could probably fabricate a suitable bracket from a few pieces of plate/bar. HTH, Brian