Iva Application Requirements

Guest mcgrailtony

Guest mcgrailtony

Dear All.

My 3A is now finished!!! A 3A you ask? I though I had bought an abandoned 2A kit early last year but the factory reciept says 3A. The kit was about 8 years old and sold as a "Rolling" chassis, but more of that later. Suffice to say all compnents were there inc an Essex reconed Pinto 2.1, but everything else had to be dismantled and rebuilt.Its now looking great and running well having finally settled on the megajolt/motorbike carb comb on a stage one Pinto 2.1. I am stupidly confident that it is ready for the IVA test having followed the guidelines and other research. I was hoping to make the Exeter show but will miss it by miles now.

Ok here is my problem. I have applied to Vosa for the IVA test in Southampton. Thet have and they taken the £450 fee and have requested the following things:

1. Reciepts - which I have.

2. Photos of build stages. I have not taken any.

3. The front and rear axel weights and gross weight of the car.

Requests. Does any body have a set (ten should be enough) of stage photographs they can let me have? Obviously the body is stainless but the mouldings are red.. If so you can email them direct to mcgrailtony@yahoo.co.uk

Does anybody know the weights. Vosa will not verify these so a type wieght will be ok.

I would be eternally grateful if somebody could help me out to get over the final paperwork hurdle.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony McGrail

Guest Alan_builder

Vehicle weights.

Sorry you are asking the wrong question. The weights are used for break testing only. The 2B is about 375/375 almost dead 50% without a full tank and the driver. Your 3A is a little lighter. The total weight of 1050 is a little high even with a boot full of tools but the rear axle weight given 600 may cause a problem with the hand brake test especially if you have rear discs.

Take a picture of you and the car in your garage with the hood up, have your tools all over the floor and the car jacked up. Rake pictures of the seat mountings and the seatbelt mountings, you must have pictures of those any way, unless you are going to take the seats out at IVA. They use the pictures to verify amateur build so no 4 post lift. The car in your drive with the garage open and tools around. Any pipes you can see with 300mm clipping. The 2 lads and girl in the DVLA Office are usually more helpful.

Make sure your tyres are rated at more than the speed you put on the form I would say the car would only do 110MPH.

I had 450 450 on mine and it was to tight for comfort

450 front 600 rear seems in the ball park but anywhere between 500 and 550 is safe

What mods have you done for seat belt rear upper mounts and the steering support?

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest mcgrailtony

Hi All.

Thanks for your help. I didnt realise the weights were braking data. Concensus seems to say that I use 450/550 with a gross of 1050. (The car has drums on rear.) Any furthr comments? Will take seat fitting advice but Snapperpaul - the steering wheel has standard (colapsable) Seirra column with double brackets (bulkhead and under dash.) I have not used any of the indicator or lighting stalk gear (all ights are old school dash switches so colulm is bare but is shrouded in neoprene padding - no sharp bits showing Dont understand upper belt mounts Q but no parts are protruding as I have fixed them vertically to the inner boot top sill. Is this ok?

Still need to source a few build photos.

Cheers mcgrailtony

Guest Alan_builder

GBS do supply racing seat belts because they are cheaper, well may be. However the correct bolt won't go through one manufacturers eye holes. the bolts need to be 8.8 and 7/16" (that is 11mm), 10 mm won't do!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest swatty9

hi forget the 8.8 bolts you can't get them, 7/16 unf don't use metric 8.8 standard. accept that you fail the first test collect a list of faults as you go and correct them after the test retest is £90. dont forget to test your speedo is correct youse a tom tom.