Engines Running Hot ?!

Guest Brynjon

Guest Brynjon

Am just in the process of buying an S7. Although it is a bit of a gamble (as I have only seen pics of it) the very nice vendor suggested that it does run hot (he suggests that if I ask any other S7 owner they would say the same). The engine is a standard 1.6 sierra engine with standard single carb.

Does he speak the truth or with forked tongue? If it is the truth or otherwise, is there anything to do to stop it doing so?

Cheers - Bryn

Yes, partly true but many run fine. Some run a bit hot and a few even boil in traffic in summer but they are all curable. First thing to do is get the timing correct and make sure the carb is not running weak, no air filter, partialy blocked jets etc, viscous fan working, hoses good. Take off the hoses and look down them. Flush the rad. Check the thermostat is ok by cooking it on the stove and make sure its fitted the right way round in the housing. Refill the cooling system and bleed it. Make sure you've got an overflow tank as elswhere on this board. If still hot but doesn't boil change temp sensor and make sure it matches year, engine & guage. Reading might just be incorrect. If still hot make intake ducting so air goes through the rad and shroud for fan so it actualy pulls air through the rad and not engine bay air in from the sides. If still hot fit electric fan on back of rad if there's room and/or move rad and electric fan into nose cone. Some additives such as antifreeze/corrosion inhibitors or water wetter and similar can improve things but I don't know how that works.

Nigel

Guest Brynjon

Cheers for that. I go down to pick this car up on Good Friday from Leicester for a long drive back up to Sunderland. I have just been told its fuel guage does not work, however, I am sure even with these niggly faults it will be all cureable and well worth the agony of buying blind. It was allegedly built and registered on 1st December 1998 so it should be alright. I will let the board know when I make it back.

Bryn

Guest timswait

I finished my 2B about a year ago (stock 1600 pinto, single carb, etc) and it's always run at the top of the temp gauge (although it's been fine all winter). It's only boiled over once though, and that was autotesting which meant ragging around in 1st gear. I built it with the RHE supplied cortina radiator, I've noticed they now sell a bigger one with their kits which I'm thinking of fitting. If not I may try and re route what would be the rear window wash in the Sierra to spray water on the radiator for if things get too hot.

There are 2 things that should be checked first. First of all, check that the thermostat is in the correct way round, (see piccy) then the sender should match the GAUGES not the engine! ford have about 8 different senders all for different gauges, it's a nightmare until you find the correct one. You can fit a cooler stat (see the NW web site for the number) but this will not cure a poor set up.

post-6-1050403128.jpg

Just read in Classic Ford referring to hot pinto engines, 'only use genuine Ford thermostat, DON'T use pattern part'. Of course no explanation given but it was in reference to an RS2000. They usualy suggest cheaper or better alternatives so this implied that there were possible problems with other makes! Maybe the Ford one flows better? So an additional tip for hot pintos should be fit a genuine Ford stat.

Nigel

Guest trevor hooley

hi ive got a stg 3 1600 pinto with twin 40's, it used to run slightly hot, but drained the system and filled with 4life, no water etc, runs much cooler and also warns of gasket faliure + its good for 10yrs