Sorn Warning

Tazzzzman1

Been having a bit of fun with our DVLA friends..... :unsure:

Bought an MX5 as my new donor from Steve (Red7) and promptly sorned it.

So job done and all legal.......................or so I thought!

Got a rather nasty letter from the DVLA a couple of weeks ago stating they had no record of the SORN and that I now owed them £44 back tax and a £40 fine which increases to £80 in mid Dec unless I could prove otherwise.. :diablo: :help: .

The SORN letter was sent to Steve, however he had sent me a copy (Big thanks to Steve on this :clapping: ).

Sent this off to DVLA which showed V5 stating change of ownership several days prior to them sending SORN letter.

Got another letter through on Saturday stating that due to change of ownership SORN declaration was no longer valid, therefore fine must be paid. Arrrrgggggggghhhhhh!!!!! :cray:

Got on the phone this morning and after venting my frustration out on some scottish chap, got an agreement that DVLA had messed up as dates showed I had made declaration on their Website and that DVLA paperwork was almost 1 week out of sync...

RESULT..........NO FINE :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

As a word of warning to all, when making a SORN declaration, do not change any details on V5C after as this then invalidates the SORN. (you need to re-SORN)

Ho sugar just seen this had car since July and not realised you have to re-sorn the vehicle when sold on (was told car was on sorn). Wasn’t sure whether I should sorn or not, so decided to sorn over the internet and it came up as been un-sorn since 1999, should be interesting on their next move, Hope previous owner got some paper work about sorn and can see me getting a fine.

Steve

I'm just about to go through this as I've just collected a Focus Cosworth which the previous owner says he didn't SORN. I told him that I would be doing it straight away and that he might be geting some questions from DVLA - don't think he was too impressed but there wasn't much he could say about it one way or another.

Iain

Got the letter from DVLA today stating all claims against me have been droppped......Result.

Lessons learnt for the future though.......Don't SORN until you have the V5 in your name in your hand.....