Dented Piston

richardm6994

Last night I noticed a small dent on the top-edge of my piston. its about 2mm across and about 0.5-1mm deep. I'm not sure how it's happen but it looks as though I've knocked the piston against something during the rebuild it's going through at the moment.

The dent doesn't go as far down as the pison ring and the piston holds wd40 for the last couple of days!

I really don't want to because money is tight after xmas, but should I change the pison or am I just crying over spilt milk and it will be fine???

Guest mower man

Been there !! marked edge of one ,being stupid [cyl head juggling ] , cleaned it up, it lasted about 1000 miles and then decided enough , but was very very lucky ,hole in piston downto oil ring bottom land all[ well most of top 2 rings in sump with top 2/3 of oil ring] not amark on bore!!!!!! quick glaze bust , new piston , and rebuilt using 4 dummy studs and another pair of hands to put the head on . Yes a cautionary tale you may be ok but don't be surprised if it turn round and bites you .Its fine now 3k miles since no probs [fingers crossed] mowerman