Radiator Blow Off

Guest boggie

If you switch to a non pressurised overflow bottle and get it all airtight then the system is self bleeding and as long as you keep an eye on the water level in the bottle you shouldn't need to top up the rad. Once set up you should check the rad level occaisonaly to confirm its all working OK.

Mine recently stopped working and it was air leaking in through the big rivet in the centre of the cap which now sports a big blob of araldite to seal it and all is well once again!

Another thought that occurs is that if the rad is moved to the nosecone then because of the geometry of the top hose take off, the top of the radiator gets less efficient at self bleeding as it is tilted backward and some air will gather. May not make any difference if the rad is upright enough but why not turn it round so the takeoffs face forward and then it self bleeds again? Plumbing challenge I realise or is that what everyone has done or doesn't it matter in practice.

Nigel

Guest graham dockerill

Joy ;o; Joy Tonight I fired up my 2B pinto 2 litre and it run really well, 9 I expect everyone remembers this moment after most of the work. The last job before firing was the plumbing, Nigel (Longboarder) has the simplest explanation and this is the route taken by me. The answer to Boggie's question is call into Halfords, purchase a HRC600 radiator cap for a cortina rad, £3.29 (the other seal is in the box) fill with water and smile. Now for the sides and rear whell arches. Regards Graham :rolleyes:

Guest boggie

Cheers Graham and congratulations. I remember that feeling well even though it was back in '96, even got a round of applause from the old guy accross the road pruning his roses!

• 1 year later...
Guest bonehead2412

sorry to say this but i had this problem and it was the headgaskit

it jeted water out of the rad at only very high revs with no power loss on the dyno

once the gaskit was done no water coming out of the rad

someting to think of as well

james :o

I would suggest that you leave the radiator cap as a blank, with the pressurized cap on the header tank, as normal, but fit a small diameter (ie seriously restricted) pipe from the top rad leak off, into the header tank or water pipe (not the vent off pipe)