Brake Compensator Valve

Guest mcgrailtony

Guest mcgrailtony

Dear all. My RH recently failed its IVA test on a number of issues, one or two of which im hitting a brick wall with. Can anyone help with the following?

1. The rear brakes (standard Sierra drum set up) are too powerful and need reducing by the fitting of an in line compensator or reducer valve which in theory is simple enough. However whilst I can source Adjustable valves easily enough, the valve must be non adjustable / fixed according to VOSA. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? (The inspector gave me some false starts pointing me towards a standar sierra unit which does not exist. Somebody else mentioned a Fiesta part and a VW golf part. Anyone else fitted one?

2. The inspector claims that the existing standard sierra steeing column is unsuitable because it only has one colapasable device and claimed that the "Later" sierra column has two which should be fitted which also apparently has an extra bulkhead UV joint. I think this is rubbish as the workshop manual shows only one type. He has also insisted I fit a standard Sierra steeing wheel which I have sourced. But hey ho it will soon come off again if I ever get the car through the test. I am in the process of appealing against the steering column fail unless someone can educate me otherwise.

The rest of the fail points are incredibly petty as many of you recent builders will know but I am working through these with absurd optimism!

Standard Sierra one does exist! Mine passed it's IVA with one this year. I mounted it at the same angle as it was in the donor in the rear feed line. The fiesta one that is screwed directly into the master cylinder will be easier to fit now though although I can't tell you which model or year you need. It screws in the cylinder on the rear line feed, dead easy.

The Sierra column has 2 devices, The concertina (corrugated would be another description) metal tube near the top and the sliding tube in tube triangle section just below the mount.

HTH

The sierra one only works when the car is in motion, it works by inertia. so no good on rollers. The inline fiesta one sounds a better bet. Could it be your front brakes are not very good rather than the rears too good? What are you using, do the pads just need bedding in?

Guest mcgrailtony

Thanks guys. before i revisited the forum, I sourced the valves from my local Ford dealer £65 each but much cheaper @ £16 each from the (Ford) National Clearance Centre in Poole (they have an Ebay shop) at a quarter of the Ford pricr. Still not sure which "duty" to fit. I have standard Sierrs front a rear brakes so it would seem logical to fit the Sierra reduction valve |( I need two as my master cylinder has dual outlets on front and rear circuits) and yes the Fiesta valves sound easy to fit so I will looka at them. At least I know where I'm going with this now. The tester insisted that I need this fitted as the rear brakes should not lock up before the front which could cause skidding. Interesting though that Peter mentions bedding in. See new Road testing forum.

Regarding the steering column. I have appealed (not offically) about the existing system only to be told by the tester that there should be two UV joints fitted, so back to the drawing board. I need a column with two impact absorbant devices and two univeral joints (one to be fitted through the engine bulkhead which means fitting a plate over the existing exit hole) onto which a standard Seirra wheel (which I now have) will be fitted. (No photos then). Is nightmare the right word? Any ideas??