Harnesses In An S7

theduck

Anyone got any photos of how they have installed harnesses in their S7 or other monocoque?

Can the bar behind the seat be used for mounting the shoulder straps? How have you mounted the lap belts?

What ever you do, DO NOT use the bar that is behind the seat it is only there to add lateral strength to the luggage compartment and support the Robin Hood seats if you have them fitted.

Mounted the belts to my S7 using a 3point seat belt rear mount to the top of the rear stainless steel panel with a length of angle iron to spreed the load and seat belt mounting plates. The two lap belt mounts have been done in the same way.

untitled.png

Picture0011.jpg

The S7 has some particular issues which have to be addressed for IVA.

The rear mount point is to low

I welded a roll bar tube across the roll bar at the correct height the belts from the rear now go over that to the seat

Floor outer mounts need reinforcing with steel plate and captive nuts

Inner floor mounts are ok if they have steel plate and captive nuts

Rear upper mount is a steel angle along the rear boot, I put angle from the rear bar to the roll bar down tube and a second from the roll bar to the seat belt mount hole at an angle, triangulating from the rear bar to the roll bar.

I put plate under the roll bar legs to stop it punching through in a roll

I used crush tubes through the roll bar and bolted to the tub with load spreading washers not just the exhaust clamps used on most Monocoques

My seat belts passed, the roll bar was part of the structure and assesed for strength as the seatbelts used it for the upper effective mounting point and as strengthening for the rear mount.