Spring Set Up Advise

Guest Lee reed

Guest Lee reed

Hi all, nearly back on the road for the summer. I purchased my 2B+ towards the end of last year so not to much use before winter.

one of the things I want to do is stiffen the rear as although comfortable was a little to soft at times espicialy if I had a passenger. Being a bit lazy how do you lot have your springs set? at the moment mine have the adjustable nut half way down on the front and as good as fully extended at the rear (Softest). Not that my driving talent warrents it but I weigh about 14 1/2 stone if that helps any advise and have the Yokohoma tyres that came with the kit on the original + 15inch rims.

I am more interested in good handling than being comfy. Cheers all Lee

Hi Lee,

assuming you have the standard RHE coilovers, the damping setting is not adjustable.

The adjustable nut only raises or lowers the cars ride height, but does nothing to the damping or the spring rate.

You need more expensive adjustable coilovers to get what you are looking for, and maybe harder (higher poundage) springs as well. Check GAZ coilovers... thats what most of us have gone with, good quality & very good service from knowledgeable guys.

HTH Bob

Guest Lee reed

Bob

Many thanks, I was assuming if I wound the nut down the threaded shock edge it compressed the spring and made it stiffer. as I have spent quit a bit already this winter on the car would the stock factory shocks handle stiffer springs until I upgrade shocks later in the year, will follow you guys in the know and look at GAZ. If any of you think it is worth changing springs only for now what poundage do you guys use for fast road and the odd track day. Cheers Lee

Hi Lee,

As you know, Hoods are a law to themselves...there were several types of spring/shocker provided from the factory, so I can't offer a definite solution. You can probably fit a stiffer spring, (to limit the amount of drop when you hit a bump), but you really need to find out what rate of spring is fitted already. I'd suggest adding 10 - 20% to that. Just make sure your coilover can be dismantled to change the spring before buying anything. Also get an idea of what coilover you will change to eventually, & make sure you can re-use your uprated spring with it.

Post a pic of your setup if you have one & we'll try & identify it.

DAMPERTECH are the main GAZ suppliers.

http://www.dampertech.co.uk/product.html

Also Rally Design can supply almost any spring you can think of as well as GAZ shockers.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/

Cheers, bob