Zetec With Raceline Water Rail Questions?

Guest Joe Green

Guest Joe Green

Afternoon all.

So we splashed out on a new Raceline water rail.

Now i know there is lots of talk about these?

Things like drilling the thermostat housing and all but is all this strictly necessary?

I don't want to go poking holes in a brand new 200 odd quid bit of kit if i don't have to, thats all?

Any Advice would be greatly received as always

Joe

There was no need to drill on the water rail I fitted. Just plug extra holes with bungs that you are not supplied with :)

However, the seal that the radiator cap makes with the top of the water rail was not good. I have made a rubber gasket

to try and make an air tight seal so that the expansion bottle works as it should. I have yet to confirm this is working as

I have been stitching up a fabric hood for it and other minor works while the weather has been bad.

Oh, and the thermostat I had already had a bypass hole in it to let a little flow past so that hot water can actually GET to the thermostat in order to make it work.

Simon.

Guest Hammy360

I called raceline and they told me I shouldve received all bungs when I bought it and promptly sent me them in the post even though I actually bought it from another supplier (uhuummm), oh and NO you do not need to drill this lovely bit of kit :acute:

Edited by Hammy

As others have said, a bypass hole in the thermostat itself is required but drilling or butchering of the rail itself is not necessary. I've had a rail fitted with two 3mm holes in the stat since 2006 on my zetec and never had any problems.

Andy

Guest Joe Green

ah ha. where would these holes need to be put exactly? does it matter really where they go on the thermostat? i take it its the face of the stat?

taa