2B Top Ball Joint

Guest sparks

Guest sparks

Sounds like a daft question but i seem to remember something about the top ball joints on the 2b being both right hand sides, and I have just found 2 parts boxes that are both RH.

I need to replace both sides as rubber split.

Am I going crazy? (beside building a hood)

Cheers

Mark

yep they are both rh thread and are called transit drag links. If it is just the rubbers and the joint is not damaged you can buy the rubber boots off ebay for very cheap. I think it was something like 16mm top hole 35mm bottom hole. but if you measure to be sure.

The RH ball joints had clear boots which perished easily (mine wasn't even out the garage and they had perished).

hth

Guest sparks

Hi Agent Z,

It is just the rubber thats gone.

Do you have a link from ebay?

How do you replace just the rubber?

Do you need to regrease the joint before the new rubber is attached?

long shot any pictures

Mark

Hey,

i just searched 'ball joint boot' http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ball+joint+boot&_sacat=See-All-Categories

have a look through and just find the correct size, or ask the seller etc.

when replacing it you will need the old spring clips off the joint. They can have sharp edges so for the big spring at the bottom i put the boot on then slipped the one edge of the spring clip into place then worked the spring round. It has a sharp edge so i put a bit of card under the end so it didn't puncture the new boot.

yep new grease (clean off all the old stuff) and work it into the joint. Think i used just a general purpose grease or maybe lithium.

Just make sure there is no movement in the old joint. as i said mine were brand new just the rubbers went so it was worth just getting the boots.

double check the hole sizes as it was a while ago i did it and might remember wrong.

hth