2B Ball Joints

Guest webby

Guest webby

hi looking to change my hubs on my 2b with wishbones but i need to fit new bottom ball joints with the locking bolts not the taper type with the nut on top do any of you guys know what vehicle they come from originally so i can try to cross reference to get what i need

many thanks

nick

Guest webby

hi

thats what they look like but i need different pins i need the type with a parallel pin with slot in it and is held in the hub by a clamp bolt not the nut on the top

cheers nick

can i just ask what you are planning on doing just to be sure it is safe. the standard balljoint used on the 2b is the pugeot one listed by kit spares above. they have a nut on the top not a pinch clamp.

i may be wrong but i didnt think the seirra stub axles ever had a pinch clamp fitting?

also my main concern is that the hub is used on the 2b in a different way to the seirra. the bottom balljoint nut is taking the weight of the car. i am not sure the pinch clamp method is strong enough to do the same thing. can anyone confirm/refute?

if you imagine lifing a wheel on the 2b then it is pulling up on the nut which then pulls the wishbone up compressing the spring. if the nut fails the car will hit the ground if you can see what i mean.

in the sierra it is different as the springing is above teh hub. if you lift the wheel the top of the hub pushes up on the mcpherson. the nut on the balljoint only holds the control arm and prevents sideways movement.

sorry if i have the wrong idea of what you are asking, just wanted to make sure it is safe.

hth

edit - just to add i may be wrong and pinch clamp type may be strong enough just want to confirm that.

Edited by agent_zed

Guest webby

hi its plenty strong enough far stronger way of doing things if the nut was to come off the fitted bolt its held in by the weight on the pin as it goes side ways half in the pin half in the hub im fitting 2wd cosworth sierra hubs to fit cossie 4 pot calipers if i cant get what i need ill have to fit hi spec to original hubs

cheers nick