Can I Top Up With Semi-Synthetic In A C4 Grand Picasso

agent_zed

Hi,

my dads C4 grand picasso 1.6 petrol 2009 needs a little oil. The book says fully synthetic but we only need a little for a short while as we are going to do a full oil change in a couple of weeks when we have time.

citreon say 5/30 fully

is it ok to use semi-synthetic as a top up and then change all to fully later?

thanks

Edited by agent_zed

Personally, I wouldn't. From a lubrication perspective its unlikely it would do any harm but very often the fully synthetic oils have low ash content and additives to protect modern cats and emission control systems. Diesels are particularly sensitive with the particulate filters, I've less experience with petrols. We have a 2010 Santa Fe where the main dealer put the wrong oil in (semi synth rather than C3 spec fully synth) and 'disco dashboard' soon follows.

Does the book mention any oil standards other then just synthetic, e.g ACEA A3, B3, C3?

All in all I wouldn't risk it, with the cost of repairs on modern cars with complex systems sky rocketing a few quid extra on the right oil is the best route.

Just my 2 penny's worth!

Guest mower man

How low is it and what is projected mileage ? ,if it's onthe stick and only pottering milage why bother , if extended use is planned service it early probs solved mower man :search: :clapping:

yeah it was on very bottom of the stick. trouble is it is my dads car and he is off on holiday so has to drive it to heathrow (100+ miles) so needed a bit of oil to be sure it was ok. He bought 1ltr fully-synth from motorworld which was rather expensive at £11 but at least we know it is ok until he gets back and we can do a full change. In the meantime i can order 5ltr from somewhere cheaper and also get filters etc

Whats the thoughts on oil flushes? its done less than 30,000 miles. should i flush it as well?

thanks

I've just done an interim oil change on my 120d as I don't like the 18-20k intervals. Got 5 litres of GM 5w30 dexos 2 fully synth to all the major manufacturer modern specs including Citroen for £21 off Ebay, and its definitely genuine.

Linky

Guest MarkB

yeah it was on very bottom of the stick. trouble is it is my dads car and he is off on holiday so has to drive it to heathrow (100+ miles) so needed a bit of oil to be sure it was ok. He bought 1ltr fully-synth from motorworld which was rather expensive at £11 but at least we know it is ok until he gets back and we can do a full change. In the meantime i can order 5ltr from somewhere cheaper and also get filters etc

Whats the thoughts on oil flushes? its done less than 30,000 miles. should i flush it as well?

thanks

If its had its services at the correct timeswith the recommended oil it should never need a flush.