Oil Breather System In Pinto

Guest HS88

I have a 1600 pinto and am in the process of removing the inlet manifold (weber 32/36).

This manifold has the water feed from water pump, servo output to the brake servo, plus an input/output which as shown below goes to/from the engine block, by the nearside engine mount and oil filter.

post-10471-0-61378200-1342876503_thumb.jpgpost-10471-0-18247400-1342876506_thumb.jpg

Firstly, can somebody tell me what this is, what is the lump, valve of some sort? and when replacing the manifold, what should I do with this hose that goes to the weber manifold?

I rang Burton Power to get an idea of what I might need to do but I feel a hoodie's view will possibly be more helpful.

I've been told I would want to have an oil catch tank, breather and a take off from the rocker...still not quite sure what I was supposed to do with this crank case breather pipe (if thats what it is?)

Thanks!!

That's the crank case breather valve, has a vacuum operated flap

You can remove the flap and run to a catch tank

Rocker goes to the other catch tank inlet

16mm minimum pipe size or you may pressurise the crank case, oil comes out of the dipstick tube

Thanks for that!! so i just install a catch tank like below...

$T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8G0wBQBd4BeTUQ~~60_12.JPG

At the bottom, does this valve allow oil to be drained or can it just be returned into the engine?

when you say one on the catch tank, do you mean a t-piece off either inlet to it with a breather off the t-piece?

haha tie-bar progress has been slow. busy at work, but I will try to get on a lathe this week if I can...

Guest arf!!

that's the set up i now have minus the drain to sump its not needed just get a tank with a sight gauge on the side and a drain plug in the bottom of it,

I have a sealed catch tank

I run a breather filter off a T, will be changing to a filter on the tank as oil pumps out of the T

Drain back is not a good idea as catch tank has oil and condensation water in it, you will drain water back to the sump