Stainless Fittings

Guest Dredd

Guest Dredd

I want to repalce some the 'standard' screws/bolts etc that came with the kit with some stainless ones that are more likely to be SVA compliant, i.e countersunk flat socket head etc. I wondered if anyone had web address of a retailer?

dredd

I'm with mat on the screw fix supply the prices are about 50%cheaper than tifosi

and even paying postage they still work out a good deal

swan

Edited by swan

Guest Dredd

Thanks guys, but for the uninitiated (i.e not engineers) what grade do I need for stress parts and what can I go for in terms of non stress parts <_<

Guest Griff

I managed to get A2 & A4 stainless from screwfix but they weren't easy to find, but they did revamp the site a couple of weeks ago and things seemed to move and change a little :unsure:

Thanks guys, but for the uninitiated (i.e not engineers) what grade do I need for stress parts and what can I go for in terms of non stress parts <_<

You shouldn't use stainless fittings for anything like suspension bolts, gearbox to engine bolts, rear axle fixings, seatbelt bolts, etc etc. All these applications need "rated" bolts. These have "8.8" or "10.9" etc stamped on their head. 8.8 is a minimum rated steel and is fine for virtually all automotive applications. Certain bolts such as the crank shaft pulley bolt may be 10.9 rated or even higher. On a Robin Hood 8.8 rating is fine for all structural fixings.

A4 stainless is better than A2, but costs more and isn't as widely available. Either A2 or A4 are fine for fixing body panels together, including the floor panel etc as long as it's suitably braced. I have used A2 fittings throughout my build, with the exception of "construction" or "structural" fittings which are all 8.8 rated or higher.

Ant