Superspec Clutch Cable

Guest stevenkirk

Guest stevenkirk

Whereabouts are the Superspec clutch cables known to break - at the pedal end or relase arm ?

Can't see any reason for mine to break (hasn't done so yet) looked inside the pedal box and the cable gets pulled 99% straight - haven't got under it to look at the release arm end yet.

Have a new cable spare just in case.

• 3 months later...
Guest BOB.WHITTAKER

Superspec clutch cable, when my kit was supplied the video suggestion for the cable conection to the clutch pedal was to cut off the manufacturer fitted eye and clamp the raw end of the cable between two washers on a bolt that went through the pedal,the bolt was then to be hardened up. This would not allow the bolt/cable to swivel as the angle of the pedal altered when it was operated , it was obvious it would fail rapidly . I left the eye on the cable and made a side plate that was bolted to the pedal and the eye of the cable was then held by a pin which passes through side plate / eye / pedal this allowing the conection to swivel. It has been in use for four years without failure. This did result in the inner cable being too long relative to the outer, I made up a tubular spacer at the clutch end ,again four years and no problems.

The original RH intention was crude,another example of RH practice in this area are the pedals and their spindle.The bosses onto which the pedals are welded are not bushed,in fact they have an internal thread which runs directly on the spindle.They would appear to be the same item that is supplied to extend the track rods on some of the other types of RH kits.Also the spindle supplied was nothing more than a piece of 12 mm black bar which was inadequate it bent in service, jamming the brake and clutch pedals.These two items are not obvious as the kit was supplied with them installed.Other installed items were all the wishbone bolts that were actually "setscrews" i.e. threaded full length, NOT good practice,all replaced with 10.9 cap head allen bolts.Whilst doing this it was found that none of the bolt holes had been drilled,they had been blown out with a plasma cutter or similar.This leaves a small "nib" inside the hole which engages with the thread of the bolt and it then has to be "wound out" all the way .

There many other examples,however perhaps procedures and working practices have now changed. Bob Whittaker