One For The Plumbers-Aqualisa Thermostatic Shower

Guest alfaGTA

I have two of these showers in my gaff, one has stopped working properly, only a dribble of cold water comes out leaving the shower scalding hot........... anyone worked with these before? The cold water supply to the rest of the bathroom/house is normal. Internet suggests a "cartridge" needs replacing?

Any help or suggestions?

Yes, had the same on mine. It's a fairly easy fix - as you say, just replace the cartridge inside with a new one. From memory the two knobs on the front pull off, then there's 4 phillips screws holding the cartrige in. I think it can be fitted several ways (kind of adjustable due to multiple fixing holes), it's pretty obvious when you get it to bits though.

On mine, I couldn't actually isolate the water due to the house having been built by idiots (the only cocks in my house seem to the the ones that built it), so I had to swap the cartridge while the water was still turned on. I stood in the shower naked and did it (oo-er missus!) but despite working quickly I still had hot water and cold water everwhere and got soaked.

I also had problems getting it to work properly afterwards. It was airlocked and the anti-scold feature was supressing the water flow. If you problems with the water flow afterwards, remove the shower head from the hose (removes some restriction) then run it on full cold first and then gradually build the temperature up from there.

Cheers richy, gonna give it an inspection at the weekend but baulked at £70-100 for a cartridge......... Might remove the old one and give it a good overnight soak in a citric acid solution to break down the limescale?

There's 4 different types (can't remember the fourth colour), and replacement really is the only way. Make sure you replace ALL seals, not just the rubber seals that look easy to replace. Theres a tiny one at the back of the cartridge, fiddly, but neccesary.

Si