Engine Upgrade (V6?)

Guest Mikem101

Guest Mikem101

Hi all,

I have recently bought an S7 based on a MK5 Cortina with a 1.6 Pinto and 4 speed box. After getting it to the point of road testing, the engine was not as powerful as I would like - it was disappointing to say the least. I have decided that the engine and gearbox is not worth spending money on and am not inclined to put a 2.0 pinto in it. Therefore, after extensive research I have decided that it is either a zetec engine or a V6. I have seen some videos on youtube of RH's with V6's in so I know they can be fitted and have read a forum on here of a member putting one in.

Going for a V6 gives good power (probably too much) and some come with RWD gearbox's. They are also very well priced, but will they work??

Ones considering at the moment -

1. Scorpio 2.9 cosworth V6 plus RWD gearbox Cost approx £400

2. Jag s-type V6 and RWD gearbox similar cost but a bit less.

I am not sure if any of the above will need sump mods?

Or whether the jag gearbox will work? Any comments about the ratio's?

I know I may possibly end up with issues on the diff (if right foot gets pressed too much) but will it cope if reasonably sensible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Mikem101

Guest Mikem101

Thanks for the quick response! In all options I was intending to use the stock ECU and wiring loom. I am considering the BOA, complete with the ford gearbox so was hoping to use the existing prop?

The jag option would be the same, i'd use the stock wiring and ecu. However, my issue with the jag gearbox would be in terms of where the gearstick would be etc another member fitted a different gearbox to the jag engine (3l duratec V6) and seemed to have had some issues. Also do you need a swirl pot for general road use? :help:

I have considered 2.0 Pinto but want to explore other options (I've had a V6 Crossfire in the past :) )

I assume that I could not use my 4 speed box?? (I think it is a type 3)

Thanks.

Mike

Guest robinj66

I think that the 2.9 V6 used the MT75 fearbox (as opposed to the Type 9 on the 2.8/2.3) which I believe has a wider bellhousing which might cause some alteration to the transmission tunnel.

I also think that the dual cam 2.9 engines are wider than the 2.8 etc. Not sure if they will fit in the S7

if you can get around these issues then do it - great fun :good:

[bTW I have the 2.8 in mine :D ]

Guest alfaGTA

cosworth v6's were all mated to auto's as found in the grandad's and later in the fugly scorp's... The boa's respond very well to the bob cam's and v6 vectra injector's! Not got the engine weights to hand but they are not light buy all accounts.... Hunt out a 2wd conversion in either a sierra or capri and strip out the bits you want and flog the rest? Alternative might be the mv6 engine from the omega's? No idea on the wiring or weight of those either :(

Would it not be easier/better to just go V8 instead? Not massively up on my vee engines but isn't something like the Rover going to be lighter weight and have more readily available aftermarket bits for it? Might not give you more power than the 2.9 V6 but will give you all the noise you need, and enough grunt to punt along at a nice rate :)

Guest Tim Norman

My next project will have the 4.3L V8 out of a Lexus. The engines are going for silly cheap money. I have just seen an R plate car on Fleabay for £700!

Guest Mikem101

I think it best to follow what someone has achieved so I dont have to go through a serious pain barrier, Ians Jag V6 gave me inspiration and I am pleased he has responded, But.....there was the issue with the bell housing and gearbox.(cost)

I have spent some time trying to found out what the jag s type gearbox ratios's are to see why the gearbox would be of no use ? can anyone help on that?

Cheap engines and gearboxs on fleabay

Perhaps I need a rethink and to rethink my budget? I was hoping not to buy a car to dismantle just to get, an engine complete with gearbox and looms/ecu to drop in.

A V8 would also be nice but, isnt that bigger? would it fit? Tim will that 4.3 V8 fit.

Back to the Jag - can I mate say a type 9 gearbox to the existing bell housing ( say using an adapter plate )?

I would like to get the project underway in the next month or so

Guest old_timbo

Lexus V8 looks good. Quad cam smaller, lighter and more power then a Rover V8. Touble is there seems to be many interesting engines out there but not many good gearbox / bell housing / clutch rearwheel drive solutions. A type 9 just won't handle the torque. Maybe the BMW Getrags are the way to go. Must be a few of these knocking around by now.

Guest ianjenn

There have been a few people enquiring about the bell housing, admittedly I got lucky with getting one from powertorque. They don't have any left but if there was enough interest i wonder if they would get some more made up. It is worth a chat to them.

There are a few boys with lotus esprits that have fitted the jag v6 via an adapter plate www.thelotusforum.com (look at punky's install) so that is definitely an option.

Type 9's if uprated can survive a V6. Torque is not the only killer, inertia also comes into it and on the plus side our cars are very light, also your mileage and driving style. If my type 9 goes pop i can have the engine out in 60mins! The V6 is just so refined, a completely different drive to pinto/zetec. I am very pleased with it

Guest Tim Norman

The Lexus needs the Supra gearbox. I wont spoil your fun but just check out the prices. Just make sure you are sitting down first. preferably close to an oxygen supply!