Steering

Guest MikeD318

Guest MikeD318

I know this question has been answered before but I can find the relevent thread on the search thingy, so here goes: Where can I get a quick rack from and how much would it be?

Mike.

Mike,

Im going down this route right now, & ive spoken to Rally Design, Burton & Quaife. .

You need to identify the rack you presently have.

Rally Design can supply ready modded racks for some cars, and just the rack & pinion for others. Prices seem to be from about £65 to £155.

Try www.raldes.co.uk, or I'll bring a catalogue along on Friday night.

Cheers, Bob.

As Bob rightly says, first check what rack you have, as RH actually supplied "quick racks" with the later 2B's. Count the turns lock to lock, most quick racks are around 2.4 turns.

The rack on the mark 3 is the original Sierra one, and just bought the internals from rally design, fitting them myself (you may need to make a "special" tool to remove the pinion)

post-7-1084968136.jpg

Guest MikeD318

Cheers all.

I have a 2003 2b plus so I might already have one then?

I would appreciate a peek at the catalogue any way. Cheers Bob.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MikeD318

Right, I've finally got around to looking at the steering rack and it appears that it's just over 3 turns lock to lock. Is that any good or should I still be looking for less? :wacko:

Mike.

Guest Griff

I Bought the quaiffe internals for my rack on a MK3 earlier this year, just under £100 I think, even after making a tool I couldn't shift my old rack so ended up buying a recon rack as well and modifying that. Even that was hard, so if possible buy one already done.

It is well worth doing though you will feel a lot more confident at cornering. I think it was Big Jim who said dont hold the wheel too tight but hold it gently. He was right as at speed it gets a bit twitchy.

best of luck!! :D