Wiper Blades ? / Wipers

Guest greengrass

Guest greengrass

What size wiper blades have people used ? And what are the benefits of reversing the sweep. ( park right etc. I can see its prity easy to do strip the motor or move the drive boxes round ) but what are the benefits if any ? I am set up at the moment with mini motor park left . I bought a set of chrome mini arms and wipers 10" I know the arms would need cuttIng down but the wipers just seem to big ! Any thoughts or advice much appricatted

CBS also do an 8" blade and adjustable arms

The wiper setup I got from GBS was park right. I've left it in that configuration and just changed the arms and blades ( I got a bit too aggressive trimming the originals). Seems to give a nice clear view directly in front of the driver.

If it's the Mini system then do't go messing around stripping motor to change the park - just change which side of the wheelbox the rack runs (i.e. above or below).

As to why you would do it - in order that they clear the bit of the screen you want to see through. With a short but wide screen like a Hood it you can find that the area not swept by the wipers can be fairly large. I've seen Hoods (and other cars) with a third wiper fitted to get around the problem. In some cases people have changed just one wiper so that they park in the centre pointing towards each other and then move towards being vertical as they get to the screen pillars. This leaves a wedge unswept in the middle of the screen but that's generally hidden behind the rear-view mirror anyway so no problem. On some cars this doesn't suit - it's all down to just what combination of parts you have and where they are positioned and how tall you are and where you sit in the car. What works for one might not work for another and what works for you in your car might not work for someone else sat in there.

Best bet is to have a go and see what works - but I would recommend removing the arms before the first activation of the wipers after any changes. At that point satisfy yourself where they really do park and what direction they will move wen you turn them on again and re-fit the arms with that in mind. I've seen more than one wiper head off in an un-expected direction and run off the screen putting a good scratch in the paint or bodywork.

Iain

Guest mower man

Tex will supply blades and arms direct 7" inch blades and Sprite / Midget arms plus reverse the wheel boxea ,right hand park and no merring with the motor simples and it works mower man

when i made my wipers for the 2b i got a long wiper and took one of the sections off which was long enough for a short wiper. then bolted this to the shortened sierra wiper arm.

I've recently changed this to having the normal fitting (the u shaped end on the wiper arm) by welding the u shape back on. I then made short wipers from the new style flexible wipers. The only trouble i have is that because the new style ones are basically a long spring, with it being shorter the springing is a little too much and does have a bit of a curve. I saw that they do smaller rear wipers (on a bmw 1 series) which might be better as they won't have as much springing as the larger ones. so going to give it a go.

I also happen to think they look cool with tiny new style wipers :)