Vg To Stalks

Guest ians2B

Guest ians2B

Hi everyone,

By the look of it I am doing everyones favourite job.

Simple question, though probably not a simple answer.

The colours on my stalks ('86 hatchback Ghia) do not match with the VG diagram, do I ignore colours and put the wires in the vg positions. Or is it the colours which are important?

The third option is to shoot myself, but, I will build this car, Arghhhhhh!

Ian

Guest ians2B

Thanks Matt,

Yes I already read that post, I've got to be honest I feel like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I guess I will have to start tracing wires back to function to try and work out colours. Thanks any way.

Ian

Hi Ian, Yes, wiring the stalk switches is the worst job, Uncle Henry hasn't helped, as he has various ones, with the wires going to different positions. Don't go by colours of the wires. One or two of our members finished up with an Auto-electrician sorting that bit out.

Good luck

Guest bloke

jim, you say the stalks are the worst job?

rhe supplied a diag with their relays and at last someting fits!, but,

the instruments from my donor dont match the wall chart or haines so im with ian at this point of my build HELP!

i could post the rhe explanation for the stalks but i dont have a scanner, would this be usefull?

Ah, Steve, the instruments are easy.

There's 2 separate circuits on the printed board behind the gauges, one is for the instrument lighting, and they'll all be joined to each other, Dead easy.

The other side will be the various gauges, now the common to these is +'ive power feed, the various senders are all in the negative to ground side of the circuits.

So take one at a time, for example, there'll be power to one side of the gauge from the common feed, the wire that goes to the oil pressure sender then goes to the other connection.

Guest TerryBarry

I posted a list of the connections for a Sierra instrument cluster ('89 GL with tacho, speedo, fuel & temp gauges recently.

I think it is here LINK

Terry

Guest ians2B

I have the solution.

All I have to do is find someone who has a vg loom and as a donor an 86 Ghia hatchback. then say how did you do it, Simple!!

What I've got now is a non- relay system with most of the right colours in most of the wrong places.

Forwards!