Dvla Vin Check

Guest aidankinnell

Guest aidankinnell

I made the mistake today of being proactive and trying to cover all bases.

I believe I'm nearing the end of the build and decided to make a start on the IVA paperwork, this of course requires you to enter the VIN. Now I realise the chances of me selecting a random 17 digit alpha-numeric code that clashes with another UK vehicle is slim, however with my luck I just wanted to check!

Phoned DVLA and asked them to check, the response was that they can only check using the VRM and there was no way to search using a VIN. I queried that if the car had been found with no plates that the VIN would be the only way to check to history, I was still advised that they can't search by a VIN. Next question, I enquire that if I go to register the car after the IVA test using a VIN that someone else has selected, would my application be rejected, the response was 'that would be an issue for the VOSA test station and the local DVLA office to resolve and not a concern for DVLA Swansea'. Final question before hanging up, I ask could my local DVLA office check on a VIN for me, the response was a resounding 'no'. The local office will only do this upon receipt of the registration documents.

Bloody useless! I think I'll just go ahead and get my chosen VIN stamped - guessing that's what everyone else does?!

yep made my own up. some people have had them changed but I reckon you will probably be fine. There are certain characters you can't have though. I did my initials - dob - year started - year finished with a few x's to pad it out to 17 digits. hth

Guest Alan_builder

Aidan,

Sorry mate but did you look up past replys to this topic on this site, i think not.

Again sorry, there are always post about, "I did XYZ". I keep posting what the system is, what you have found confirms what I keep posting. There is a system / procedure and not a lot of people even inside the DVLA & VOSA have a complete picture of what to do, They play a small part and only know the part they play rather than having any idea on the bigger picture.

Your correct VIN for a Robbin Hood is the Invoice number followed by letter / numbers of your choice up to 17. It should be the same for a GBS Kit.