Robin Hood As A Donor?

Guest rizla

Guest rizla

:unsure: i have a strange question that some of you maybe able to help with,

if the worst comes to worse(it shouldnt,but who knows)

if i use a robin hood as a donor for a kitcar build,the r/h being year related plate

would the new kit that has no chassis number take the r/h reg number or would it be a Q reg as it is made from a kit to a kit ;)

i do hope that made sence :blink:

Guest chris brown

The way I read it Riz is the new car would get an age related plate as there is no where that I can see that states that the donor has to be a mass produced car. I hope this question is purely hypothetical and things aren’t that bad, interesting thought through

Chris

Guest rizla
hypothetical

:D i spent ages trying to spell that word,in the end i used the word strange :p

things should be ok,but as they say you should always have a back up plan,and maybe im looking on the down side,but if you think the worst then things can only get better

im not fussed if it ends up a Q reg as i think they look good,i know once a Q always a Q but after all this i wont sell my kit ever

Guest Ianz

Rizla(Andy)

The hypothetical doner.....Robin Hood, would have age related plates,not because

of the Robin Hood,but of the previous doner's running gear,engine ,gearbox etc,assuming nothings changed ,it would be reasonable to assume that you could transfer that identity to another car!!!as long as you can prove the age relatedness

of the parts being transferred,the engine number on the RH'S logbook could be proven to be a Ford engine manufactured in ,for example 1988.

Or basically if the Robin hood that where talking about hypothetically,was given age related number plates when first registered,it would not be unreasonable to expect that ,if used as a doner,the age relatedness could not be transferred also.

Hope this makes sense.........sorry if it do'nt,but I've had a few beers!!!!!

Cheers Ian

By the way are you interested in Karting at Buckmore Park with the Sussex Hoodies.....would be good if you could!!!!!!!

Sorry Rizla ,did'nt see your reply in the topic Sussex hoodies re karting

HMMMM.......Look at it another way.....

On a production car, if you replace the bodyshell, it remains the same car, plates VIN no. etc.

If you're using the mechanical bits from one kit car, & building up another,

surely all youre doing is replacing the chassis on the donor kit car with a new one?

Would it even need SVA or re-registration?

Ccouldn't you keep the donors VIN no. & plates?

Or have I missed something?

Bob.

Guest rizla

;) that was the thought i had

lets say you have a robin hood and for whatever reason you need to replace the chassis and some body panels,is it still the same car ie same reg/vin

or does it become a new car altogether :blink:

Riz,

quite honestly, I reckon its your choice, so long as you scrap the original chassis.

You need to engrave the VIN no on the new one anyway, & so long as theres no possibility of a duplicate popping up later, I cant see theres any problem.

Bob.

Guest chris brown
If you're using the mechanical bits from one kit car, & building up another,

Might be difficult convincing someone that the dax you have built from the donor (Robinhood) is really a ???? :wub:

The DVLA regs that cover this are exactly the same as those of us using a Sierra as a donor. BUT since the car you're wanting to build is similar to your donor you have a different option. Basically the original I.D. of a donor vehicle can be retained as long as enough parts are used from the donor (under the old scoring system that used to be used for kit cars to be registered under the donors reg number) and - from the DVLA

"The body type is not changed and the appearance is not significantly altered."

Outside of this you have to have an SVA test and it's this last bit that pushes the rest of us down that route. So long as you use enough of the Hood then my reading says that any LSIS can be built from the bits and still be considered the same car. You should be able to get the V5's make and model changed without anything other than a built-up vehicle inspection and it's attached declaration from you stating where all the parts came from.

Of course as we've all seen each DVLA/DOT/VOSA jobsworth involved will have his own "special" interpretation of all that so you may have trouble getting the V5 changed to reflect the new model.

If you didn't bother (my 2B was very nearly an S7). From a day to day point-of-view as long as the insurance company is informed of exactly what they are insuring then the only problem would be if an MOT tester refused to test the vehicle because his info says Robin Hood and what he has in front of him isn't a Robin Hood - does what you're planning look like the picture on your membership card? Then what does the MOT tester know differently?

As an aside. A friend of mine once had a Discovery that was described on the V5 as a Montego because it was a pre-production testing vehicle. He had a raft of Land-Rover headed paperwork that he had to take to the garage to get the guy to write Montego on the MOT certificate at MOT time. Apparently there were a bunch of these that were used as final testing mules (in various parts of the world like the Arctic and the Sahara).

Iain