Newbie, New Car, No Experience

Guest bill-c

Guest bill-c

Hi all, Just a quick note to introduce myself, I just bought an unfinished S7 and I hope that in the future I will be able to ask some advice from all the journeymen here. I'm in Scotland so far from most of the experts. The car is far from finished and some of the work is quite ropey to say the least!!! Anyway, I know I will be back here for advice very soon.

Guest oshiney2

hi bill where are you ?? there are 6 of us here in dunfermline that are all willing to help you just drop me a line and we can meet up for a chat welcome to the best club alive

Guest whiz

Hi Bill welcome to the club as John say there are a few of us up in Scotland the most of us in the central belt. Im the area sec for the club I had aS7 for three years. put up your location and you might get some visitors if your to far away from Dunfermline.

Guest bill-c

Believe it or not guys im not far from Dunfermline, Im in Kinglassie so if you're up for a coffee anytime pop over and bring the cars, we will be happy to see you. This is a new hobby for me so Im very interested in any advice you can give.

Guest bill-c

Car is not complete so will need IVA'd at some point. I assume the original spec of the car will not now pass the modified test? Feel free to come and have a look.

You are right the original spec won't pass, but not too much needs doing from my research (also completing an S7). In short:

Strengthen rear boot area, particularly rear lip for harness mounts

Strengthen steering column support

If an early s7, strengthen roll bar supports and add bar for harnesses to travel over. If a later one may still need to strengthen the roll bar mounts.

Clamshell / swept wings will fail IVA, so simple answer is move to cycle wings. Cycle wing brackets vary depending on front suspension type, if inboard like mine then 2B brackets do fit, despite what you may read elsewhere on here.

About it off the top of my head, have a look at my thread in the kit car related section and feel free to message me with any questions.

Rear seat belt upper mounts to low..... Weld bar at correct height across roll bar

Extra fittings to secure roll bar

Brace rear seat belt mounts if still using them

Outer lower seat belt mount needs load spreading plate also check inner

As stated extra support for steering under the dash

Seats need load spreading plates under car floor

Bottom of dash needs radius

Box in passenger footwell, I also ran removable covers round lower dash, you may need to look at drivers footwelll for IVA

I strengthened the pedal box mounting a lot to prevent flex

Some other useful tips here

http://www.dvandrews.co.uk/

Guest bill-c

Thanks guys for the advice, hoping to make a start to some of the basic work (wiring not finished, pedals need repositioned, handbrake and cable needs fitted) in the next week. Whiz, I got your number, thanks, hope we can arrange to meet and u can give me your opinion on the car. Many thanks for the responses so far............Bill.