Oil Filter Flow Questions

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

Hi all,

I am just in the midst of fitting an oil cooler which unfortunately creates the need for a remote oil filter as once I fitted the sandwich take-off plate the engine mount gets in the way of the filter - don't you just love it :rolleyes: ). Anyway I have a couple of questions:

What direction does oil flow through the filter? Does the engine pump oil in through the threaded center of the filter with oil returning via the holes around the circumferance or is it the other way around? :huh:

I am trying to decide how to plumb the remote oil filter plate and the cooler. At present I have the cooler connected to a take off sandwich plate and in place of the filter I plan to fit the remote filter take-off end plate. Is this the best way to do it or should I 'daisy-chain' them (engine to remote oil filter to cooler or the other way around). :wacko:

I suspect it doesn't matter how I plumb the system it will work either way but if anyone knows better I would be grateful for any advice. :D

Cheers, Boggie

Guest paul mercer

Hi, Assuming you have a pinto, are you using the oil cooler that the cosworth had? If so you have to use a 4x4 filter as they are shorter than the normal filters. The filter that i have found listed by Burtons and as i recall, a few other companies is wrong for the 2wd and as you say is too long.

Not sure where the flow is, but if the engine is drained, cable tie a clear bag over the filter mount, and crank get someone to crank the engine. You should be able to see where the residue in the pump is coming out of. As long as you don't actually run an engine for more than about 5-10 seconds it will be fine with just the residue oil in it.

Hope this helps

Guest boggie

Thanks Big Jim / Paul, that's the first I have heard it. Unfortunately I have finished the remote installation now but it does look quite good and will make for easier servicing etc in the future.

Regards, Boggie