Change Of Speedo Etc- Help

Guest zims123

Guest zims123

:huh:

I am in the process of changing the location of the instrument cluster on my aged S7 (Cortina based). This uses old Capri clocks which are nothing but a pain being placed over the steering column, this not leaving a lot of room for my legs as the column is too low!!! (I didn't build it!). Modification happening!

Anyway, i have decided to move the consul to the middle of the car, but having started this i am considering putting new clocks in altogether. So is this a good move? I know that the speedo can be replaced as its mechanically driven, but what about the ratios? And as the wiring from the original loom is Cortina will it be easily transfered onto new electronic tacho, oil etc? if so has anyone an original wiring diragram for the cortina?

Any advice welcome!

Zims :ph34r:

Hi Zims,

Over the winter I replaced the Capri clocks in my Series III with a set of

VDO clocks bought from Lowtension. The

speedo is electronic and they supplied a sensor that the current speedo cable plugs

into (nice and easy). To calibrate the speedo all you have to do is drive a

measured mile. Find a straight bit of road and measure a mile in your tintop

and remember the start and stop points. On the speedo you press the button

at the start of the mile and then again at the end and it is then

calibrated. The set of clocks came with new oil, water and fuel sensors so

all the clocks indicate correctly.

The clock wiring will all have to be new and connected to your existing

wiring, I used four 6-way plugs. When you take out the capri clocks you should be able to work out what wire feeds what clock, carefully document this and the new wiring will be straight forward.

Hope this helps.

post-8-1087417624.jpg

OK, but as long as you don't tell the wife!

lowtension currently sell a set of clocks, speedo, rev counter, oil pressure, fuel, water temp and voltmeter for £300, they also sell on ebay which is where I picked mine up for £230.

I also bought a matching time clock for £30 and a speed sensor that plugs on the end of the speedo cable for £45.

Not cheap but they look a lot better than the capri clocks I had and they also give the correct readings.

Merlin Motorsport also sell VDO clocks but they are very expensive from them.