2B Pinto To Zetec - Sump Question

Guest Dave Skirrow

Guest Dave Skirrow

I've just got a 2l blacktop that came out of a focus and noticed that the sump is pretty small. Do the focus engines have the same size sumps as the mondeos? And if not can I get away with not cutting it? Doesn't look like there is a huge amount to remove!

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers fellas, second inspection, it's in 2 halves as you mention. Even so the steel bit still looks quite small. It'll be more of a blanking plate if I remove much!

Guess I'm gonna have to get it off and have a decent look at it before going any further. Only just removed the engine from the boot of my car tonight and just dumped it on the floor to get back myself in the warm...

Don't use the ford sump you'll get oil starvation !! The engine won't last one spirited drive !

The ford sump is designed for horizontal fitting and is baffled for such.

You can get away with using the cvh sump but if your going to the trouble of fitting a zetec budget for a proper sump !

Guest Dave Skirrow

Thanks CMA. Don't plan on loads of track time, if any at all. Aftermarket ones look a little steep. Think I'll chop and if it wrecks the engine I'll just buy another!

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers Stephen, any idea if that was a focus blacktop or mondeo? I'm probably wrong but looking at a few pics on the internet I'm sure the bottom steel bit on mine is smaller to start with.

Do you notice any effects of oil starvation with it being baffled the wrong way wround?

Tricky one, keeping it standard will save time and it's one less thing to worry that I've messed up!

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers! That link makes it look easy enough...

That said, looking at it again today, the sump doesn't seem much lower than where the bellhousing will be... or does it just look that way cos it's not in the car

2014-02-01_0103.png