Go, No Go, Go!

Robbie 2B

Can any one help?

I have an annoying problem which occurs when you floor it in first gear, the engine just gives up the gost (no acceleration just poping from the exhst) but when you ease off then it goes, very embarrassing when coming out of the pub.

It also tends to happen when you floor it around corners ( :gdit: so my son says? :gdit: )

I have a 2 lit 2B with the standard pinto carb' and ECU. I have checked for blocked nozzles, enrichment, etc all seams OK and I think it may actually be fuel starvation.

The fault appears to be more prevalent when making a swift get away from a side road (pub car park), thus exerting a cornering force as well as the acceleration force, than when dragging away from traffic lights.

Can anyone confirm this hypotheses or propose a solution. I am debating whether altering the height of petrol in the float chamber will have an effect.

Robbie :boohoo:

Is the accelerator pump working? ie when looking down the carb there is a curved tube, when you open the throttle there should be a good squirt of fuel from it. It is very obvious when the engine is not running (and there is fuel in the carb). Otherwise check the idle jets are not partially blocked. I have spent ages in the past changing float heights and it has never made any noticeable difference!

Peter.

Robbie

Ditch the ECU with carb....have you got a 30/34 DFTH,

If so, fit points ignition ,you can upgrade this to Aldon/Luminition,

and get hold of a 38DGAS ,this should transform the car,as this is what I have

done,I am contemplating fitting another head(Stage 2 with RL31 cam and twin 45

DCOE'S but am not sure I can be bothered as my car is running/goes/starts so well).

IMHO

Cheers Ian

By the way answering your original question,I had the same problem with

original carb(30/34 dfth) with ECU,ie my engine used to pop and fart,when decelerating,

this was,

caused by to weak a mixture,unfortunately you cannot adjust the mixture,for top

end....fixed jet/and ECU,going back to my first answer,fit a 38 DGAS!!!!!!!!