Fan Thermostat/switch

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

I need to change from engine driven fan to an electric one. The fan is now ordered but I'm having problems deciding on the control mechanism.

I would like it to be adjustable and the Kenlowe external sensor looks good, but I am open to other ideas. One other thing concerns the relay that a lot of kits come with. Is this something I just mount somewhere in the engine bay or should it be incorporated into the fuse/relay box? It's a bit of a black art to me where the fuse box is concerned, so I hope that isn't the case. :80:

Guest peter2b2002

i mounted the relay on a side tube on my 2b , wiring take a wire from the battery through a fuse to the relay, earth wire from the relay to one of the relay screws ( remove any paint under the earth screw) wire from the relay to the fan, wire from the thermostat to the relay .

cant remember which of the 4 relay contacts are which but the wiring diagram that comes with the fan kit should tell you

wiring this way mean your far will run with the ignition off

peter2b

I used one from Car Builder Solutions when my original packed up. It is adjustable and you can either tuck the end of the capilliary tube under the radiator top hose or like me use one of their alloy housings in the middle of the hose and just screw the bulb in. It had to be dead simple for me to attempt it as I usually run away screaming when somebody mentions electrics. The only thing you have to watch out for is to mount the relay somewhere where it wont get wet

Kevin

Second for the Rally Design version

Sole to fit and set up just run car until engine reaches desired max temp, turn small plastic screw to make fan run, fan will run until engine temp reduced

Simples

Guest Gargoil

Thanks for the information, Chaps. That's good news about the relay, now that I know I can site it in a place that isn't in the fuse box, I will have more confidence in tackling the job. The Rally Design version looks interesting, I will look in to that further.

Once again thanks, for the help.