Mazda Rx-8

WallerZ

Guest mcramsay

there is quite a lot of info on the locost builders site about dropping an rx8 lump into a kit car, the advice was to avoid it like the plauge. they are very specific on how the exhaust is made and require quite a bit of backpressure to work correctly....or something along those lines. bloke on locost builders put one in, and got rid because he could never get it to run correctly. never mind there are loads of issues with rotor seals going at a stupidly low milage....used to own one and i loved it, but it had absolutley no torque, drank oil and fuel and at the end of the day the novelty wore off.

I know 3 people who own/have owned RX8s. Very thirsty on fuel but fun to drive in comfort. The running untill warm is due to the overfueling needed when cold, if you don't run 'till warm the fuel sits in the chamber over the lower spart plug when stopped and drowns it. Not a major problem but is a pain at fuel stations as 2 out of 3 have found.

I think the RX8 is classed as a 2.6 (2 chambers at 1.3cc) and get hammered on tax if 06 or newer. They share some common problems to my MPS with rust and wheel corrosion, some have been known to suffer ecu problems too with dry joints causing intermitant imobiliser faults.

Starter motors and battery where upgraded on later models to help starting when the rotor tips start to wear. Faster spin helps tips seal on chamber wall.

Hth

Yeah from March 23rd 2006 onwards, tax would be £490 per year so would aim to avoid that. It was a mad idea in the first place and mainly pivoted around one day putting it into the zero just because. However, realising I get around 120miles per tank with the MX5 lump, the more thirsty rotary would severely limit the range without a bigger tank so RX8 has come on gone quicker than faster than a cup of tea.

Thanks all for bringing me to my senses.....well to an extent.........future projects may surface here again...