Mazda Rx-8

WallerZ

Morning all, I'm beginning to toy with a few ideas of a second car (the Zero is currently my only car and not ideal for wet weather commuting). Ideally, said car will be either a rolling project or future major project. Currently, I am looking at an RX-8 with a view to potentially look at dropping the engine, gearbox etc into the Zero when the current engine lets go or I want a big change, break the mold, challenge the norm etc etc.

Firstly, what are people's opinion on the RX-8 just as a general car? Obviously bad press and limited knowledge of the owners play a part in the condition of the engine, but for the sake of discussion, the engine has either been well looked after properly or recently been rebuilt.

Secondly, how do you think it would perform/suit in a Zero? An engine that requires high revs and enough distance to warm up, a Zero not a car you just pop to the shops in?

Engine would be awesome in a zero. I stand by what I said though, do it right and get an FD3 RX7.

The renesis engine is fabulous though, its inherent lack of torque and relatively low power:fuel consumption ratio puts me off. It's just not as powerful as it should be, and as a result the RX8 not as quick as it should be either.

My little sis has an RX8. Very pretty. Nice drive but dull. Just a saloon with a low body. Very thirsty. Very expensive to repair.

Every time she starts it, it has to be driven till warm. If she doesn't do this a few times something fails and it's off to the dealer and ££££. ie moving it from the drive into the garage requires you either push it or go for a two mile drive. (No I don't know what breaks, coils perhaps.)

Nigel

RX8 engine in a zero has been done. A father and son team from near Heathrow picked up their kit the same day as me in 2008.

GBS did some chassis mods for the engine and gear box which was there when the kit was collected.

They appeared on here very briefly as zero*bleep*el I beleive.

(I can't beleive we can't say *bleep*el on a car site!

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showuser=3241

Edited by ozz

check out the tax rate, i've heard that some are on the top rate of car tax as it uses so much fuel, but early ones were not on the emissions based system

I went to look at this yesterday.....

http://www.mastersgroup.co.uk/mazda/Used-Car-Details/used-mazda-cx-7-23-turbo-4x4-galaxy-grey-manual-petrol-ID_3342527342.aspx#.U5bZFvldWSo

Low mileage, good condition, reasonable price, big enough for my biggest toy aeroplanes

Then I spotted the tax band.....£485 pa!!.....& went off to look at a 1.6 diesel Peugeot 508 estate instead £20 pa...

My neighbour ran an RX8 for a couple of years. The issues he had with it were many and varied including hot start problems, coil packs and starter motors. He's a car nut and dead handy with the spanners but even he was getting tired of it. and wished he'd never bought it.

No doubt there's plenty of people who run them with few problems but when they do go wrong you need either deep pockets, patience or a combination of both. Like many things, they're great when they're running well - something these don't do that often apparently.

If you do get an RX8, you'd be more likely to need to drop the Zero engine in in, not the other way round.

My wife has an RX-8 and loves it... I actually enjoy driving it too! ;-)

She is about to get a company car so it will be up for sale soon. 2003, Metalic Red, Black & Red Leather seats, FMDSH, 40,000 miles, Taxed & MOT'd.

Meticulously maintained car, just a few car-park dinks...

I'll be looking for around £2,000 when it's for sale. Currently on a private plate!

Here is a link to a couple of pictures

PM me more details...

Edited by maw

Brother in law has a 2009 plate. Hasn't had a single problem (touch wood) hasn't had to do any running til hot weird things or anything.

But as said only returns ~25mpg on a good day and the spark plugs are £150+ each i am not even joking.

I once saw a Stiker in a magazine (prob 15 years ago) that had a rotary engine and had a feeling it said that it needed a really long exhaust to deal with the noise, i remember it doubled back along the side. Might have been a weird one though.

It is fun to hit 9k rpm though without a problem! although apparently they explode at 13k due to internal resonance or something.

After watching 'Sin city motors' on dave i am itching for a massive turbo diesel engine in a small hotrod/kitcar pickup ~3ltr's should do :)

also side not has anyone seen the advert for the PHEV mitsubishi its returning 165MPG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest chris brown

They are a great car but do need lots of tlc the handeling is fantastic on the correct tyres. Don't expect much more than 20mpg and lots premix with 2t oil as well there is lots of info on the owners club sites both UK and US. Do lots of reading before you buy then either go for one with a good engine - a compression test with corrected figures is a must - or go for a good car with low compression and bad starting and do a rebuild.

hmm would be interesting to see if DVLA would have to honour the 1300cc displacement on an age related plate. my H-reg 2b (on the old system of above and below 1600cc tax brackets) would go from a 1.6 to a 1.3 and gain about 150BHP whilst saving £100 a year on road tax.

anyone know if dvla would allow this?

need lots of tlc ...... Don't expect much more than 20mpg ........ and lots premix with 2t oil

Sounds like it's the 1950's again.

Not things most people expect to be doing on a daily driver, still at least he'd still have the Zero to use when he can't get the Mazda started. Personally if I was looking to spend the (roughly £2.5 to 3K) that a reasonable RX8 seems to cost, and was looking for something to use every day, the Mazda wouldn't be in my shortlist.

As someone who seems to make a career out of running expensive, tempramental cars as daily drivers, it's not something I'd generally recommend unless you're completely mad and also have deep pockets.

Edited by richyb66