Top Tip

The slow slow progress on my rebuild of 1 of my 2.1 Pintos has lurched to wards putting it back together.

Most of the time I have taken things off, this weekend auxiliary shaft and crank, it is a bare block.

So deglaze the bores with a tripod hone and then I need to clean it out, parts washer in the barn has pump failure so lots of wipes, plenty of spray electrical cleaner, more oil and cloth but I can still feel grit.

I had a thought, ( most of which don't work) but he'll give it a try.

Suit lint roller, well it started to work and turned black with fine metal and hone stone dust.

Boy what a job, 2 hours of roll, wash, cloth, roll etc. it went on and on until finally the sticky sheets stuck to the bores and no dust left on them.

A quick wash with thinners and residual sticky was gone.

Lint rollers are the new parts washers

While you have the crank out, mic up the big ends and mains to see if still within spec. Fit new shells if they are. Consider high capacity oil pump. Consider getting the crank, flywheel and crank pulley balanced.

I know you have deglazed the bores. Have you measured for wear? Might want to fit new rings with a cheater top ring to improve compression if still within spec or rebore and oversize if too worn. If reboring what about going to 2.1L?

There is little point in fully stripping an engine just to clean it and deglaze the bores.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

You preach to the converted Longborder

This is the cheap 2.1, mains are fine, big ends will be replaced, new rings are going in.

I have a high pressure pump somewhere

Ring gaps are top end of standard as are piston to bore, choice of standard injection head and FR32 or spare big valve head well see what compression they give with a 1mm Adjusa

The other 2.1 has all the goodies, cossy rods, balanced bottom end with light flywheel etc, I'm learning on the cheap engine