Flashing Brake Lights

alanrichey

I recall at a couple of shows/meetings/run outs last year someone (Matthew (maw) was it you ?) had his brake lights flashing during pull away. I have just experienced a similar problem, but luckily I was in my garage with the door shut (trying to fix my failed reversing lights) and saw it happening and quickly realised it was the act of depressing the clutch that caused the brake lights to illuminate.

The reason was obvious, there was enough friction in the top bolt of the pedal box to slightly rotate the brake pedal when the clutch pedal was depressed. A quick blast of WD40 and a minor adjustment of the brake switch cured the problem.

So that might have been the reason and, of course, you would never know it was happening unless a bunch of Hoodies are watching you depart and posted it on here :)

Guest 2b cruising

After wd, it is always better to use an oil to lubricate. If you use an aerosol, the spirit based propellant dries out any lubricant in the wd area. This is why you see rust dust around many areas when wd used regularly. Sensitive things like locks are better lubed with graphite dust, or even talk. Just info people might find useful when servicing.

If wd has to be used, it's better done buying liquid form wd in a hand sprayer. And that's less than half the cost.