Low Level Light Wiring

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

Hi all just wondering how to wire a low level brake fluid light. I have the standard sierra master cylinder what wires go where. I also have a electric handbrake so how would I connect that to it to make the brake light come on when parked.

Thanks

Guest alexpink

Ignition live to one pin of brake warning light. One wire from fluid reservoir switch and one wire from handbrake switch to other pin on warning light. Connect other fluid reservoir pin to earth (if there are 3 pins, use the outer two.) Make sure handbrake switch is earthed.

When either switch circuit is complete (handbrake on or low fluid level) the light will come on as the current can flow to earth.

Edited by alexpink

Guest danny_samb

Where will I find the handbrake switch on an electric handbrake. Will it be on the lever to operate the handbrake or on the motor thanks.

It's just needed for the mot so do I only need the low warning light or do I need both

You need a brake fluid warning light and some means of testing it from the driving seat. This tester can be a momentary dash switch. You do not need a handbrake warning light so don't do one.

Circuit is ignition live source to dash warning light to one of the brake reservoir paired terminals, then from reservoir single terminal to earth.

The brake reservoir is the switch. The reservoir has 3 terminals, one electrically separate and two are permanently connected.

A wire from the unused paired terminal then goes through the dash switch to earth.

Nigel

post-21-0-14104100-1429779146_thumb.jpg

Guest danny_samb

I have the switch already on the brake fluid reservoir so I just need to sort the wires out. I think mine are different colours to what are displayed in your pic so will try work it out

It's an old drawing using sierra colours. Shows ignition live out of the ignition switch. That could be any ignition live source. The connections 7 & 9 are the numbers on my particular dash that were the connectors for the low fluid warning bulb. The dash switch or handbrake switch only exist as IVA requires the means to test the system from the drivers seat.

Most non kit car drivers expect a car to come with a handbrake light without realising it is actually there as a test for the fluid warning light.

If you ask around I reckon 90% of drivers would not know what it meant if on releasing the handbrake in their fiesta the handbrake light did not go off. I suspect very few would switch off, pop the bonnet and jump out of the car and check the fluid level in the reservoir.

Nigel

Guest danny_samb

The wire coming out of the cap on my reservoir are 2 x black and red and 1 x black and yellow. The 2 x black and red are in a connector together