1 Forward 2 Back

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

yesterday after fitting new spark plugs engine started up poor tick over till it warmed up after that tick over ok reved up to 5.5k with the odd cough out of the carb left it running for 1/2 hr no problem restarted ok, to day had to jump start (might needa new battery) thick over the same as yesterday but now get the odd back fire then when warmed up back fire cough cough back fire engine cuts out starts up ok then cough bang cough bang,taking the head off to see if the valves are ok

Peter2bz3

Edited by peter2b2002

Guest 2b cruising

It would pay you dividends if you can compression test first.

Going by the info given, you will probably find nothing wrong with h valves.

Sound more like ignition to me.

Timing slipped. Ignition feed or output intermittent.

Definitely along those or fuel starvation and then comes back to life momentarily.

HTH

Ken

Guest Darren2010

I had similar problems with mine. But I had flat spots and hesitation as well. A standard pinto has different exhaust and air filter and stuff. Just s thought.

Guest 2b cruising

Ignition problem.i am 99'/, sure.

Backfire followed by black smoke point to you getting fuel pumped through.

Ignition fires after turning over for a bit then fires and backfires through exhaust setting off the excess fuel pumped through to your exhaust.

Is there a part of your points shorting to earth. Were they fitted correctly by whoever built the dizzy.

Wish I was nearer.

Only other thing I can think of at the moment, is your float valve shutting off or are the plugs getting flooded because of float level to high.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest peter2b2002

a chap at work had the same on his pinto turned out to be old fuel that he'd gummed up the float and jets as I got the carb off ebay I didn't think to give it a good clean up so I will give tst a try also as I got a spare points and cap I will fit those as well

petet2b

Guest peter2b2002

I think ive susted it there is a small pipe at the back of the carb under the choke that should go to the dizy , no pipe+ there was a load of crap in the float area, not had time to try starting the engine yet ,do that on monday

Peter2b