****ing Dvla

Guest Ben Salt

Guest Ben Salt

Grrrr

Why if you try to do anything their way do they make life difficult?

I phone up the DVLA, asking whether they can issue me with a VIN number, and am told I have to write to the local office and they will issue one. Fine, I write a letter, and a week later get a phone call 'you need to fill in some forms'. Fine, so they send them to me (a V55/5, completely useless for me t this stage). I phone up the call centre - can you put me through to the Wimbledon office - No sir, sorry i can get them to call you back. They call me yesterday, when i am out and ask me to ring back WITHOUT LEAVING A NUMBER!!! So phone the call centre again first thing this morning, and they will get them to ring me back again, havent heard a thing all day.

Grrrrrr

Car is nearly complete and want to get SVA test booked, and its so far taken me 2 weeks to try and get a VIN number

:gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

Sorry, just felt like venting some anger

Ben

Guest Trevor 2B

Ben

The form they want you to fill in is V627/1. This one initiates the registration process and also is your 'claim' for an age related plate. You can get it from the dvla website as a download (I think). You then just post it off to the local office.

How the dvla phone system works (as I understand it) is the calls are routed to Swansea and they then fax the appropriate office to ring you back. Once you have the fax number of the local office you can short circuit the system!

A friend made up his own number which was OK for SVA but the dvla inspector would not accept it and he had to restamp a new number in the chassis - but as you are probably aware the rules seem to vary office to office!

HTH

T2B

Guest plt63

You have my sympathies, I have just got my car registered after three months on messing around with DVLA. :boohoo: :boohoo:

I would suggest making up your own chassis number, something like

RHExxyyyycccciiii where

xx - model type 2B or SK

yyyy - year of model

cccc - your customer number from Robin hood invoice

iiii - your invoice number

Just state that this is how the chassis number was sent to you from Robin Hood, and bobs yer uncle. It takes up to four weeks to get a chassis number from DVLA and thay are likely to loose your request anyway!!!! You cant book the SVA test without it!

Insist on getting the number for your local DVLA office, thay cannot refuse (if so ask to speak to a supervisor and explain that you need to contact the local office). ^_^ ^_^

The Central swansea support for SVA appear to be out of touch with the local offices in a big way.

Check with local office that you dont need a vehicle inspection certificate by the office inspector. :blink:

It is a good idea to go to your local office if you can, and ask someone to go through the procedure with you (be firm and persuasive, dont shout and loose your temper with the girls on the counter). If you explain the background, they will in all likelyhood take you took an interview room and help complete the documents, and book your 'local' appointments.

I know this seems excessive, but having just experienced this first hand, I strongly recommend you follow my approach.

I am currently formalising my complaint with DVLA in Swansea, to see how they are going to compensate me for supplying the wrong information, and wasting three full working days of my time!!!!! With any luck, we may end up with a documented formal procedure for registering kit cars that I can publish on this forum. :gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

Sorry for the long winded ramble!

Guest Battery Bill
Just state that this is how the chassis number was sent to you from Robin Hood, and bobs yer uncle. It takes up to four weeks to get a chassis number from DVLA

Local DVLA is obviously the best then, The bloke dealing with us gave us our chassis number in a few minutes. :D

He has also gave us a lot of help with the forms, He confirmed that we do need a

"vehicle inspection certificate by the office inspector" but that can be done after SVA and we just ring up and book it and drive there "Legally"

So all in all our Local one seems very good, we even have the direct phone number on the paperwork so if anyone in Lincoln area needs it let us know :D

I agree with the "front up at the local office" method. I turned up and asked them what they wanted from me. The lady went through the forms and told me just what to supply and helped with some of the ambiguous questions (manufacture date - is that the donor, the kit or when I finished building it?). I then went back in to see them about my address having changed between the start and end of the process and finally a couple of weeks ago I turned up with the MAC and other paperwork and got a tax disc there and then.

The only annoying bit was that after taking it up there for a built up vehicle inspection (which the woman had told me I needed to get a chassis number issued) the inspector asked where the chassis number was. I told him that was why I was there - to have one issued and he told me that I should have made one up. I was annoyed so I didn't tell him he had left his mag-lite on the trailer - and a very nice torch it is too.

Iain

Guest Ben Salt

Cheers guys

I think i will pay my local office a visit, and ask them to go through it with me.

Its just so frustrating getting different info from everywhere, and being messed around by people

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
Guest timswait

I made up my chassis number, used my RHE invoice number, and then my phone number to fill the remaining digits. Satisfied Southampton SVA station and Maidstone VRO.

Guest paul thompson

I made mine up too. Went to the local office with my made chassis number on the RHE invoice and said I had been given it by RHE and they checkec in thier pooter that it was OK and it went immediately on all the forms. Got SVA booked on that number, did the Inspection and got issued with Reg number and tax disc by going back following day. Perfect!

Guest Mr Pid

Looking to book the SVA pretty soon and have sent off all the relevant documentation to the DVLA to obtain a chassis number so that I can insure the vehicle to drive it to the SVA centre.

Now having lots of grief before with getting the right documentation relevant to the build ie looking high and low for an old Mk II Cortina so that I could use the old plate and the fact that it is tax exempt to my advantage, I telephoned the DVLA to confirm that this was OK and all was confirmed! They said they would send me out all the relevant paperwork for me to fill in. Things are finally coming together! or so I thought!

Today (4/8/2004) I received a call from a lady at the DVLA saying they had received the application and needed some further information. They said that the built up inspection could only take place at their test site on a Wednesday and they could not come to my house as they previously said they would. She also said she would need a copy of my drivers licence, no problem. Now the problem came when she said she couldn’t allocate a chassis number until they had inspected the vehicle and this had to be trailer’d to the test centre and I could not drive it. Now not having another car or a spare trailer lying around I am going to have a hell of a job getting my car the 10 miles to the test centre.

The call got a bit more interesting as she said that as the registration is taken from the date of SVA the car would not in fact be tax exempt. I pealed myself off the ceiling and explained that I had previously been told that it would and if this was the case I would have used a much newer donor as the old plate is going to be useless, I would not be able to get a cherished plate to replace it and the parts would be a hell of a lot more accessible. She said she would look into this further!

So now I am basically double f*****! I now have a kit car I have spent the last year re-building, again to their specification to now be told that I have wasted my time and money and I don’t have a hope in hell in getting a chassis number for it and driving it as I cannot transport it anywhere!! Its going to cost me the best part of £190 in tax seeing as it’s a 2.1 and to hire a car and trailer to transport it is going to be another £150 and losing the money from taking the day off work we will be looking at the best part of £500! Thats not even before the damn SVA!

I am sat here wondering why the hell I ever bothered to build the damn car and why I didn’t just plonk a 450 hp chevy lump into a Capri and have just as much fun! I’m seriously considering selling it as I cannot see how I will ever find the time or the funds to get it on the road. If anyone is interested do let me know!

Yours, seriously disheartened,

Stu :boohoo:

Stuart you have to play by there rules I am afraid.

A catch 22 I took my car to the build up inspection on the back of a local breakdown firms transporter only cost £80 well worth it I thought and I did not have to drive so saved on insurance Mot and fuel as well.

I have had my car on the road for 11 months now well worth the slight hassle. Even if I did get a fine for the non payment of road tax on the donor after jumping through all the DVLA Hoops. Still got an apology in the end. Ful info on my web sight @ http://www.stevedohc2b.freeserve.co.uk/month__seven.htm

Good luck and keep up the good work not long now.

All the best

Stephen Altwasser

Stuart

I think DVLA may have rumbled you!!!!!!!!

Now having lots of grief before with getting the right documentation relevant to the build ie looking high and low for an old Mk II Cortina so that I could use the old plate and the fact that it is tax exempt to my advantage

Cos I doubt that you have fitted to your car any components from

a Mk11 Cortina, afterall Cortina's had a live rear axle,4 speed box,

OHV engine etc etc, so I think you would struggle to convince them

that the Cortina was indeed the doner,and I think this is why DVLA

are being arsey.

IMHO

Cheers Ian