Push Button Starter, Slightly Different To Below

Guest yellow peril

Guest yellow peril

I've got the same push button starter as outlined in the below posts, but after printing out the wiring diagram, cheers rizla, B) the wires on my ignition barrel do not match up. I've got a Red, yellow, black and a black & yellow. anyone got a steer on what goes where. :huh: :huh:

also, I'm guessin when it's installed ya still require a turn of the key, or does pushing the button take over completely. need to make sure ya can't just start it with the button jobby otherwise thieving skally's will have a field day.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Look closely YP. I hope you will find that the black is a black/blue and thus standard sierra loom. If not test with an earthed bulb on a flying lead or a multimeter to see what does what. The ignition switch will have a constant live supply, usualy red and all others will be dead in the off position. First click position is accessory live, usualy yellow. Second click is ignition live, usualy black/yellow and this feeds all the ignition live fuses and components. Third click is starter solenoid energise, usualy black/blue and the black/yellow remains live in this position also. Remember to disable the steering lock if you decide to go keyless or fit a hidden switch.

Nigel

Guest yellow peril

found the old post cheers rizla, think I've got the wiring diagram figured now :huh: & cheers nigel, that explains the wires on the ignition B)

Guest yellow peril

ok, I kinda thought I had it sorted, but I don't. :boohoo: do bear with me I am a complete amateur in the greatest sense when it comes to the art of wiring.

At the mo you flick the switch up to get ingnition on, dash lights etc. and a press of the button see the old girl start. But I have not got any link to the barrel, hence no key security, and you can press the button, without the igintion switched on to start (although flicking off does stop the engine).

I've got

yellow/black - push button

red - switch

black or dark blue - switch

with the single yellow going nowhere. what do I do to get the key to be the first stage of ignition, befor the button allows starting to be possible. I did search for a post on this but couldn't find anything, or anything i could understand :huh: :huh:

peas elp :p

Guest chris brown

sounds like you have the 12 volt to the switch permanently it should come from the ignition switch (key) ignition on position hence only live (12 volts) when switch is in position 2 and steering lock is off (well that’s how I read it but may be wrong. I have been in the past lots of times).

If you have taken the wires off the ignition switch and connected them to the new panel, replace the red on the ign switch. Yellow/black should still come from position two on the ign switch but now feed the toggle switch and then continue out of the switched side of the toggle back into the loom to continue as itself. The black/blue is correct off the output side of the push button. As below.

Nigel