Smith Guages With Ford Sierra Senders

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest 2b cruising

GBS just refitted my dash.

The fuel works backwards.

They are sending me another programmed fuel guage.

Make sure you get the right one for your sender unit.

The standard sender supplied by Robin Hood runs backwards first mod is to unsolder the wire from one end of the rheostat and solder back to the other end, this corrects the signal so gauge reads the right way but range is still wrong, next move is to use the range corrected from CBS

In all honesty buying the correct sender is probably cheaper but bolt holes in the tank and fuel pipes was an issue for me

Fuel ohms

US 240 empty 33 full

Euro 10 empty 180 full

US GM 0 90

US Ford 0 73

Cortina 73 10 not substantiate

Kit Car gauge has been reversed but show ¼ when empty and 3/4 when full so assume gauge is euro 10-180 and sender is now 33-240

Edited by Snapperpaul

is this the original old smiths voltage stabiliser? if so, they are a little crude. It's based on a bimetallic strip, which is heated and cuts power momentarily, to give an average of 10v over time, eg 5 seconds of 12v and 1 second of 0v. This works fine with the standard smiths gauges as they are that slow to react, it doesn't bother them. Personally i got a 10v transistor based voltage regulator off ebay for £8 and used that instead.