Finishing Touches

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

For a 2B with the standard crocodile set-up I have fixed the fitted the bonnet with 4 of the SVA approved bonnet catches but read somewhere that more is needed to keep the bonnet in place, is this so?

Does the handbrake have to have a gaiter?

Guest John Church

Steve

Mine had only 2 of the approved rubber type bonnet stays and it passed. I also had a safety catch inside the bonnet in front of the radiator - as per RH video.

My handbrake has no gaitor and nothing was said by the inspector, but as they all seem to differ that may mean nothing.

Regards

I've got 4 over centre catches and a separate peg with washers and R clip. I recently ran over something big in the road and the shock pinged ALL my over centre catches, the only thing left holding down the bonnet was the peg with washers and R clip.

For the SVA I have herd of failures due to no secondary catch but I've also heard of them passing!

I don't have a gaiter for the handbrake but it's tucked under the cushion of the seat so the testers tools don't get to the sharp bits.

Guest paul thompson

Steve,

That is how mine is and I'm going to SVA on friday, Thanks for that now I have something else to worry about. Still I will be able to let you know how I get on. I did not see the point of putting the sierra catch on when 4 latches is more secure in my opinion. I guess its the opinion of the tester that counts on the day.

Paul

Yep! I've herd of more than one incident of bonnet catches vibrating open and the bonnet coming up at speed with windscreens hitting people in the face.

Also, people forget to latch the bonnet closed after tinkering so a self latching system is preferred.

Guest paul thompson

Thanks for that John but I think it's a bit too late to change tack now before SVA. If they pass it I may just fit a safety catch as well just in case but i am quite happy a the moment with the 4 catches. The way I have fitted them they take quite a bit of effort to get them open and closed.

Guest paul thompson

Besides which I have seen many cars (not necessarily Hoods) with a removable bonnet held on only with overcentre catches. I beleive the Super (sonic) spec has that doesn't it? I'd be very concerned about a loose 0.7 mm thick piece of steel dancing its way over the screen and scalping me. I'd rather take the risk of the dental work after eating the screen.

Guest jetskijase

Yeah good luck Paul with sva ;)

Let us know what brum sva is like as i'll be there at some point... Come to think of it they would probably have changed staff several time's by the time I get there :p :p

Jase

don't know if this would be any good but i had an idea for a temporary 'fix' to your problem, get a length of steel wire (as used on a trailer safety brake) and have this attached to the bonnet then you can loop the other around a cross member and use the carabina to clip it to itself. have it just long enough to be able to reach in to unclip it but short enough so that if the over centre clips fail the bonnet won't lift more than a foot. :rolleyes:

steven