Cutting Stainless

Mat-Moo

Ok - I've started to cut off the front suspension on my eXmo, and the first part was ok using a standard jigsaw. However I've now hit a part where it is double thickness (3mm total I think) and I can not get any further with the jigsaw at all. All it is doing is burning the blade up and riuning them... I was thinking about a nibbler but I believe that can only cope with up to 2mm. Any sugestions?

The jig saw should cut it, obviously with the correct blade in, don't try to run too fast.

PS. It's nice to see that you're making some progress on it.

Greg Holden has cut off the front of his Exmo and fitted a double wishbone set up. (I'n not sure if i got a photo or two, I'll put the disk in and see.

Nope! Got a piccy of Greg, but not of his suspenders!! :unsure:

Well, I've got some ideas on how I want to do this, but I'd like to see another one done as a confidence boost :) However here is how I've been hacking mine up so far. Leaving the top bit on for the light fitting of course! I'm then thinking of creating a frame in front to hold the new front suspension mounting point from and of course it will be double wishbone!

Big nine inch angle grinder (rh special tool No.1) and a degree of malice is what you need ! It took my exmo front off in about twenty minutes. :angry:

(I hope to have attatched a pic of the frame I used to hang the new suspension from)

see below

It's stainless box section similar idea to locost, wes*****d etc.

:ph34r: I'll see if I can pinch a camera and post some more pics on the "modifications" page.

Edited by Greg

You added that subfrome onto the front of your Exmo? got any more pics? I was possibly thinking of going for equal length top/bottom wishbones.

Eh? Equal length? Surely you want them unequal so you can benefit from camber changes as the suspension moves up & down?

And by the way Mat, I saw an Exmo chassis from a part built car that belongs to the neighbour of my brother in law (he lives near Peterborough so I stayed there overnight when I collected my D'oh!C kit last December) and I reckon you're much braver than me!

Like, respect is due, man...

Guest GeordieJim

Try using some metal working fluid on the blade as you cut, it makes a huge difference when drilling so will probably do the same when cutting. Also, as mentioned already go as slow as you can. Once the blade glows red, its knackered. You need to keep it cool.

At my work, the machines we use for cutting metal box sections and tube go very slowly indeed and use plenty of fluid.

James