Florin's Heavy Drinking

fry61

Hopefully have found the reason for the high oil consumption of our 1800 CVH engine -- maybe. The rubber tube connecting the stub tube in the block to the dip stick tube has split , & in the nature of faults its been getting larger IMO until we now have a tell tale wetness down the sump & onto the garage floor; which is how we came to find the split rubber connecting tube.

Is there enough crank-case pressure for oil to have been blown out through this split even when it was a lot smaller?

And has anyone got a suitable rubber joint -- I have measured at 9.5mm ( 3/8" ) to block & 12.5mm ( 1/2" ) to dip tube.

Thanks in advance for any replies/help.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Bob. I do hope you are right about the consumption fault.

It did seem very weird when watching the smoke when I was following you last year.

The smoking seemed spasmodic without any particular pattern when it happened.

It looks to me as though you have found it. Splashing onto your exhaust would account for the smoke.

As far as the hose, heater hoses are shaped as you need but I think they would perish with the oil.

Would it be possible to get some double layered hydraulic hose of 3/8"

Then bore one end out to the 1/2"

The pressures involved would allow ordinary jubilee clamps, or torques clamps. The stainless type where the threads go straight through the male part of the clamp would definately do it.

If not try a ford forum. They have appeared to be very helpful in the past.

Good luck mate. Time to smile now.

It might account for some of the oil usage, is there evidence of oil around the area in the engine bay or under the floor of the car.

I don't think it's got anything to do with your smoking as the dipstick's on the opposite side of the block to the exhaust isn't it? I think you're probably burning a bit of oil on the overrun through worn valve stem seals too.

Graham, rubber tube required is as stated above only missing detail is it needs to be around 2/2.5" long.

Steve,your thoughts are correct, except valve stem seals have been replaced; we had oil on garage floor after last run-out -- this is what pin-pointed the area to search for leak. Up 'til then the loss was very small & we thought it was a weep at the oil pressure sender.

Will fix this latest show of incontinence by Florin & see if she remains dry -- going for MOT shortly -- don't want her oily under-side on display then.

• Like 1