Odometer

Thrashed

Hi guys

I have the standard smith type gauges that read the speed and total mileage etc.

I am terrible a remembering the mileage for each trip to work out how far i have traveled, so was wondering if anyone had fitted a separate odometer just as a trip counter.

I was thinking about something like mountain bike computers, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-LCD-BIKE-COMPUTER-SPEEDO-ODOMETER-WATERPROOF-SPEEDOMETER-CYCLE-BICYCLE-/390643187280?hash=item5af425fe50:g:f8kAAOxyVVJSCgwO , but would it work?

Thoughts on this or any other method are welcome.

Thanks

Is it a recent smiths gauge?

Generally they have one trip meter... I use it as a double check for refuelling range

You should have a remote pushbutton attached to the speedo

short push cycles between trip & total miles

long push resets trip.

Thanks, buy mine is a analogue gauge from ETB so no digital read out

Wish is was that organised! Photo on the phone is a good idea.

Those bike computers work on a magnet attached to the wheel and detecting each revolution. IIRC, max speed they can measure is something like 50mph and I imagine the odometer function wouldn't work above that speed?

Edit: just noticed that one says it works up to 99mph, so that's fine because the speed limit is 70, so you'll never go that fast, hey? ;-)

Wireless ones are also affected by interference from other electrical gadgets. Not a problem on a bike but might be tricky on a car?

Have you got a smartphone with GPS? Lots of free GPS logging apps that will also record your exact route and display it on a map etc.

Edited by nelmo

Those bike computers work on a magnet attached to the wheel and detecting each revolution. IIRC, max speed they can measure is something like 50mph and I imagine the odometer function wouldn't work above that speed?

Edit: just noticed that one says it works up to 99mph, so that's fine because the speed limit is 70, so you'll never go that fast, hey? ;-)

Wireless ones are also affected by interference from other electrical gadgets. Not a problem on a bike but might be tricky on a car?

Have you got a smartphone with GPS? Lots of free GPS logging apps that will also record your exact route and display it on a map etc.

I like the idea of a smartphone app. Can you recommend a good app?

No help re odometer but interesting/worrying for technophiles/technophobes.

I have an android phone with location settings turned on.

When i log on to google chrome with my google account and search for location history I get a google map which shows where I (my phone) has been every day.

Not exact routes and no mileage but length of journey time and stops and it even guesses mode of transport (Cycling! yeah right)

• Like 1

I like the idea of a smartphone app. Can you recommend a good app?

I've used one skiing and one on a bike (Strava/strata or something like that) but never in a car. Just do a search for 'gps tracker' and install one at a time until you find one you like...

Edited by nelmo