Fuel Filler Cap & Fittings

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

Hiya all

Anybody replaced the original RH petrol tank, and then needed a new fuel cap and fittings to finish it off?

I need a cap & collar to fit a 50mm rubber hose connected to the new tank. Some of the usual suppliers want silly money. Anybody found a reasonable source?

Cheers

Mike :D

Guest chris brown

I think mine came off an old Nissan micra and has a protective (plastic) cover idle for where it passes through the boot (originally where it went in the wheel arch) and was free at the local scrap yard

Guest Mike G

Thanks Chris. In the meantime, in true RH fashion I have managed to cut up the old plastic pipe which has joined the original Exmo filler to the new tank. Haven't quite finished it, but the proof of the pudding will be when I slop in the first gallon of juice into the new tank.

Cheers

Mike G :D

Guest Petemate

Mike - also in true RH fashion I've retained the original Sierra locking cap with enough of the filler neck to attach the piece of filler hose I got from Demon - sorry Chris, great idea but no Micras in the yard at the time. (Of course there are quite a few now..... :angry: )

I can draw a piccie Mike if you are going to Stondon Sunday. ;)

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest timswait

This was a bloody annoying problem when I fitted my PTM tank. Like you all I wanted was a bit of fuel resistant 50mm hose and a cap and neck and could I find it at reasonable price? Like heck! :( .

In the end I went back to the Sierra neck and spend a lot of time cutting it down and modifying it to fit (I made a jigsaw of about 4 or 5 pieces to make it fit!). Quickly I found that no glues would really bond to that plastic so then started trying to weld it with a blow torch, and using a strip of plastic as a filler rod. This worked, but the moulding process had left residual stresses in the neck so it distorted in the heat and then took much time to straighten out. It then leaked and needed much more adjustment and filler to stop it. All in all several days of fustration, and it#s not easy to fill up, the pump keeps kicking back, so my advice is to swallow your pride and pay demon thieves. Alternatively, I have heard that radiator hose is fuel proof, and that comes in 50mm dia, although I don't know if this could be used.

made mine from exhaust pipe

cut n bent it then got a tame welder to stick it all back together for me

looks ok even soldered a vent pipe in for the day it actually make it to a garage