Whats This Light Mean?

Guest daveg

Guest daveg

All

I have the following warning light on my next donor (a Vauxhall red top) :)

What does it mean, strange symbol I have never seen...only comes on intermittantly :mellow: :huh:

post-8-1091207507.jpg

Guest daveg
Perhaps an alternator charging light??
nope, thats a battery symbol :(

I should add its an orange lamp as opposed to red which would be more worrying, I've checked brake fluid, engine coolant :boohoo:

Dave

PS bet Jim knows :p or maybe Nigel or Chris :lol: :D

had a similar light come on just as the engine died for the first of eight times whilst on holiday in france. don't know about vauxhall but on nissan it is an engine management malfuction indicator - turned out we had a broken crank position sensor and the management kept resetting itself only to pack up again later on, it was like russian roulette tpwing a caravan along dual carriageways knowing it could pack up at any time with dirty great big french artics all around!!

Guest daveg

Stuart

Pretty sure its the engine management unit light

That was my guess, :boohoo: the engine runs fine though :unsure:

I thought that engine management lights had to be cancelled by a TECH1 reader :unsure: :unsure:

Dave

Guest rizla
:) stuart is indeed right its a managment light,usaly comes on when there is a sensor fault,the ecu will store a fault code and this code will tel you the fault

Guest paul mercer

How about if something was disconnected whilst the engine was running and then reconnected. The module would then think a fault was there and illuminate the bulb, whereas the fault has actually gone. I disconnected a plug on my car, a similar light came up, but went out after the ign was turned on/off a few times.

Paul

Guest daveg

Rizla

It comes on (when I go over a bump in the road) for about 4 seconds then goes off.

So Stuart was right then... :rolleyes:

Do I read your reply right, there will be a code stored even though the light goes out?

Dave :boohoo:

Guest daveg

Rizla

Thanks...I think thats cleared the mystery up...all I need now is a TECH1 reader :boohoo:

Darren

Thats posh, a speed bump warning light.
:boohoo: I hate all these speed bumps, I have one at each end of my road, now as you have to stop to turn through 90 degrees...how the hell can anyone speed :huh:

It just makes for a very rough ride...

Dave

PS I am a BIG fan of camera's...no speed=no fine and no rough ride...