It All Started With An Idea

Guest Tim Norman

Guest mark little

Richard, if you got the picture that I got when I tapped the link your post takes on a whole new meaning, someone called flitsci, blonde and beautiful

Guest Tim Norman

I know it is not to everybody's taste but I saw a Lotus 6 that had had a re-body back in the Sixties and it looked like a Healy and was bloody quick. That got me thinking, then somebody pointed me in the direction of the Superbrick and I was hooked.

I have only added about 20KG in weight but the aerodynamic gain alone will more than balance that out. Also the loss of the front wings and supports and my dieting (Doctors orders) will offset it some more. I am also hoping the additional down force will get more heat into the tyres and afford me some more grip.

I have had to learn a whole new set of skills in working and shaping Aluminium. When it and the Kitten are done I may well tackle replicating the bonnet.

Edited by Tim Norman
Crap spelling!

Guest Tim Norman

As for before and after stats;

Before.... it hit 60 in about 4.5 and 100 in about 14 then I ran out of road at an indicated 120 but it was still pulling.

After..... I'll let you know once I get it on the private road again.

I think the ride will be different too as the buffeting should be lessened by the smoother airflow. Well thats the hope, proof is in the driving etc. Might even get more mpg!

Guest shaggy

Tim, have you thought of a Perspex windscreen from the air intakes to cover the existing windscreen? That's where the brick aerodynamics fail quite badly.

Apart from that, looks sweet.

Si

Guest Tim Norman

It will be at Stonleigh. and yes the under floor is fairly flat.

I will be filling in all I can in the engine bay too, if I have enough spare aluminium left.

Got to sort the rear out coz I don't like the shape, although once it has a waft of black it will look different again.

• 2 months later...
Guest Tim Norman

Well, it passed its MOT with just one advisory, and that is just to nip up the pinch bolt on the steering column to rack UJ.

Now I need another three sheets of ally to make some longer sweep front wheel arches and I can finish wrapping it in Carbon Fibre.

Came back from Stonleigh at a pace that matched the traffic and the mpg was impressive. Handles rock solid. Had to stiffen the rear suspension to compensate for the additional down force though!

Edited by Tim Norman
poor grammer